Thread: Fraser Island Weed

Fraser Island Weed

Hi Everyone!

A quick report in case anyone is hopeing to catch the opening of the Indian Head/ Waddy Point closure on the 30th. Don't bother! I returned from Waddy on Friday night and can assure that the weed is thick from Sandy Cape all the way down to just south of Eurong. The northerly winds of the last few days will have only make it worse. In case you haven't struck this stuff before,it is the stinking red cotton wool type that sticks to your line like s--- to a blanket. To make the situation worse, the fish are there, just outside the weed: you can see them from the top of Indian Head. they were well and truely on before the weed got thick in the week before last. Bugger!

A couple of more tips from Fraser: Careful launching boats in the gutters at Waddy, that weed will clog your motor intakes. Petrol at Orchid Beach is $1.73 / litre Diesel is $1.70 ( Makes Brisbane prices look cheap!) Make sure you book before you turn up at Waddy Pt campground is you will be asked to leave if not. Don't believe if you are told that the camp is full when you try to book as the Government record system is totally stuffed and people were refused bookings over the September holidays even though the camp was never more than half full.

Maybe next year will be weed free!

Cheers,
    Tuskie ( Ain't no parrot )
    If ya canna spear em, ya can jag em on a line.

Re: Fraser Island Weed

Thanks for the info tuskie , i'm not sure if its what i wanted to hear thou! I'll be up there next week , i'm not too keen on that weed cloggin my motor intakes !! Is there any way to prevent that? Are there many other boats heading out through it?

I have booked the campground a month ago so the better not be any problems there >, otherwise i'll be sleeping in the rangers cabin

Jas

Hi JB,
    Last week saw a few good days offshore. I wished I had dragged the boat up for the hols. The pros and a few visitors launched through the weed. They seemed to motor past the break, (which was quite small) and stop past the weed to check the intakes before setting off.

Good fishing,
    Tuskie
    If ya canna spear em, ya can jag em on a line.

Cheers Tuskie,
    My old man was due to leave on Fri with some mates so I will Def. let him know the weed is back once again. In your opinion is it worth going up there to fight it or giving it the flick.

JUST GOT BACK MYSELF WAS CAMPED JUST NORTH OF CATHEDERALS,GOOD GOD TOOK 8KG OF PILCHARDS UP,6 DAYS LATER I BROUGHT 8KG BACK,AND YES EVERY MORN I LOOKED OUT TO SEA AT A LAKE,WITH MY BOAT BACK IN BRIS.IS THIS SOME SORT OF SICK JOKE ?????? never again will i leave my boat at home

Thanks all for the weed updates. We are going over to Orchid on 14 October for a week or so. Will keep watching for more weed updates - might pull the pin and head to Moreton instead.