Thread: Cleveland SP's

Cleveland SP's

went on Sunday down to cleveland armed with my sicstik and new wallet of SP's, had a walk around flicking and nothing. Kept exploring and finally found an area where the fish were on the chew, second cast a lovely bream about 38cm smashed the lure and took off for cover, great little fighter anyway after 3-4 attempts had him in the landing net and into the bucket. After that i caught my first squire on SP at 35cm, also into the bucket. Last decent fish was a cod that went 38cm, he went back in to grow bigger. Anyway all in all a great arvo and good to finally get into some fish, i hadnt caught anything decent for ages...oh and i also saw what looked like a giant long tom, seriously huge, it looked like barracuda, swim right past me, thought i'd have a good chance of hooking him if i dropped the lure ahead of him but he swam right past it, anyway thats what i did on sunday arvo. Oh and the fish were beautiful by the way

Re: Cleveland SP's

nice to get a legal squire out of the canals during daylight hours ...

Good work mate! Congrats on the squire too... They go so much harder than bream hey!

yeh i know Billo and i was landbased too, i was stoked, the squire was a very welcome catch, if only i had a canoe or something i could go paddle around and find where the fish are biting, what i want is to catch a nice queenie like Gutsy did, that'd be good

Nice catch, what plastics was the bream and squire caught on?
    Matt

Yeah mate, wouldn't mind knowing what plastics you ended up stocking up on and what worked.

Cheers.

Marcel.

i caught the fish with an old 75mm squidgy fish in jelly prawn, its a kind of gold colour, ive caught heaps of fish with the same plastic, for some reason its never been damaged. The fishing is weird down there, it looks like its got so much potential, and often there is absolutely nothing happening at all, other times it can be great, Marcel i know you've put a fair bit of time in to fishing the area what do u reckon?

Carlos

Maybe it's me.... I might be bad luck.... Maybe the fish "sense" I'm coming, and leave so I don't catch them on ya!!!! ROTFLMAO

It does have a lot of potential, but the only fish we've ever caught from there where Pike. Would be very interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the area as I may possibly have a canoe coming in a few weeks (And will then fit an electric motor - Cause I'm a lazy bugger!) and will be more than interested to give that place a going over!!!

yes Dan you are bad luck

You need some tidal flow, otherwise the pike do come out. Finesse is the key, light jigheads and flick right up around the pontoons and gaps around boats. If you've read a few articles on breamin with sp's you'll know to look for the shadows etc around structure and always anticipate a fish. There are lots of fish around its a matter of finding them. 2 weeks ago we caught a mixed bag of all over 40cm+ fish including, trevally, bream, snapper and flathead.

Cheers.

Marcel.

Some good estuary cod in the Ross canal as well

yeh Gutsy but what i was saying,but its a bit of a hike everytime you wanna change spots, need Dan to get his canoe happening so we can go hit up all the structure that we can't get at from the shore, cos landbased you can only fish a small percentage of the area

What are the rules on anchoring in the canals? Is it permissable?
    David

sounds like a longtom, i used to get em all the time in raby bay! Good stuff!