Thread: CAIRNS 27/09 Tuna and macks

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

CAIRNS 27/09 Tuna and macks

Went out near Double Island again today for similar results as yesterday. A few schools of tuna around and in the sloppy conditions they weren't shy. Followed them around for a while and caught a few Mack tuna...

Re: CAIRNS 27/09 Tuna and macks

and also some small longtails. They're a beautiful fish!

also managed a solitary spaniard. A few missed hookups as well, but still a nice day. A few big barracuda were hanging around the boat at one stage, though weren't bold enough to bite

cheers,

steve

Steve managed to locate those two big barracuda and took a liking to half a dozen spotties that i brought up. They werent small fish those cuda thats for sure.I couldnt hold bottom so i didnt hang around for too long, now im off to get a sand anchor. Sure looked good down below from what the sounder was showing!

Shane

Good one shane, it can be a real pain trying to anchor up on that spot, but there are usually a few fish around it. Just be careful with sand anchors there - if you hook up on the structure it'll be a knife job

cheers,

steve

I take you have a reef anchor then??? I couldnt hold anchor at all........Was a real pain in the ass! Doesnt seem to be too much structure apart from the wreck!

good stuff steve thats a nice days work. did you keep the longtail for tuna steaks? should keep you going for a while if you did.

cheers phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

cHiCo

Nice work, noticed double island there in the background. looks like an awesome day. Home in 2 months

Great posts Steve, gotta love this place and it's 20 dollar fishing trips including vehicle fuel! You certainly had a blast on the 26th .

Keep it up

cheers fnq

Shane, I sent you a pm.

Phil, yeah those Longtails aren't bad tucker - especially as sashimi!

FNQ, couldn't live anywhere else! Must be killing you not having that boat finished!

cheers,

steve

FNQ, couldn't live anywhere else! #Must be killing you not having that boat finished!
    Yep the place is growing on me, reports like yours dont help either .

About the reef boat- not really Steve that boat will be use for reef trips and overnighters. What is killing me is project 2 which is to be a more stable tinny hull for close trips in rougher water, cannot do both at once cost too much money and time.

If I suspect the winds will be low in the early hours of Sunday I might head out in the tinny to around the same area as your trips.

Any tips appreciated will reciprocate if I am lucky enough to find anything worthy.

Cheers fnq