Thread: First trip to Cape Moreton. 24/09/05

markpeta

First trip to Cape Moreton. 24/09/05

First trip to cape moreton deckie pulled out last minute so ended up a solo trip. Launched the boat at Bellara ramp at 4.30am and took a easy run flinders about 1.5 hours a bit choppy and sorting out gps and stuff along the way. Drifted around northern end for a couple of hours in 35m of water nothing found some good rises and bottom. Seen some other boats out futher went to see what was going on about 15m of water still nothing. Anchored and burleyed up nothing. Hutchies was not far off but by myself and knew the wind was going to pick up so decided not to go and headed in at 11.30am for a quick 1 hour run at 32 knots back to Bribie. Ended up doing 90km Next trip if weather plays nice Caloundra Wide not this weekend but the following.

Mark

Re: First trip to Cape Moreton. 24/09/05

nice work... there's a lot of open water out there to explore !
    good effort on the solo trip for a first timer ...usually is the hardest

Mark i noticed you out there minus the deckie, we were in the Whaler , gave you a wave but it looked as if you were caught up.
    The weather was pretty good until about 1pm then she started to pick up. From all accounts the fish seemed to be out wide in deep water , we pulled a few not far from you but nothing of size or quality Allways next time .
    All the best with your next trip mate, i think a deckie would be wise for your next trip.
    Sandman

not good there Mark. Maybe a bit more searching will find the goods.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

markpeta

Sandman sorry didnt see you did look for any boats with ausfish stickers on them. Was going to radio to see if there were any ausfishers out there but dont know what channel everyone uses ? Was thinking of heading out wider but without a deckie and first trip stayed in my comfort zone. Looking at another 2 weeks going to caloundra wide as I had done on Saturday about 95km return trip but knew I only had half the day because of the wind.

Thanks Mark

Mark,
    We were on VHF 21, Have you got any marks for CW? Better luck next time mate. I am allways looking for deckies and am happy to return the favour.
    Sandman

markpeta

Sandman got some marks dont know how accurate.

Mark

cal wide. about 43kms each way if you run straight
    out across the spitfires. watch them spitfires they
    like to stand up when the tide and wind are aposing
    cheers dale