Thread: favorite LBGF spot gets attention from boat fisho

wiseguy67

favorite LBGF spot gets attention from boat fisho

So the other morning i hike the 1.5km out to the end of Iluka breakwall, I carry two rods, galvanized bucket with rope for getting fresh water for the live bait, esky for keeping my catch fresh, lunch, and fishing gear. Get out to the end after quite a struggle as the large swell has been soaking the rocks on the last 500m and its bloody slippery. Just as i cast my squid out and get my other rod set up to catch a few livebaits this bloke pulls up in his boat and shoots out a livebait, bang he's hooked up and less than five minutes later he gaffs a nice, maybe just short of a meter jewie. Nice I say then he comes right back over to the point just in front of me and puts another livebait out... I feel like he's got my fish and now he's going to get my other fish Time goes by and i can't get a livebait for the life of me, no bites what so ever and he's not having much luck either so he heads back to the marina and shows up with a deckie and they try for a bit more in "my spot" nothing happening so they head off to return an hour later. I have given up on trying to get some live bait and am now going for rock cod and large bream, just as they pull up and deploy their livies i hook up to a nice bream. Guess what, they rig up for bream and start pulling a few in. Then it gets quiet and they leave.
    My point is if you have a boat and some bloke is fishing off the rocks maybe give some space and go to the other hot spots!
    Oh well he certainly had a good morning. I did ok with a couple nice bram and a rock cod to 1.5kg
    Tight lines Gerard

Re: favorite LBGF spot gets attention from boat fi

Gerard there are some inconsiderate pr@#ks out there mate > good bream though

chillers

I would have to agree that he was inconsiderate. > I could be seen as like 2 fishermen fishing on opposite banks of a river though. You may be right not to vent too much anger.

Just throw rocks next time as he has none to throw.

Angla

Mate,
    that is almost exactly what i was writing about in an earlier report of mine. Jackash and myself set up a nice berly trail ou the back of the boat, just start getting some bites, and this bloke anchors 10 meters behind us stealing our berley (and probably our fish). To make matters worse, Jackash hooks what we think is a big jew and we loose it on this clowns anchor rope!! Jackash in particular was NOT a HAPPY CAMPER. Wish this type of people would show a little more consideration towards others. Cheers Fritzy

Hi Wiseguy67, are you a local to Iluka? We are coming down there in early November for a few days and was wondering what I can expect in the way of fish?

Tks,

wiseguy67

most days produce what your targeting, but there are always those days when its just good to wet a line. The area offers a wide range of spots that have all kinds of fish, it just depends on if they want to bite! The wall is a favorite as well as the headlands, fresh bait works best and timing, but i have broken all the rules and caught a fish and followed all the rules and come home with 0 enjoy your visit, its been a bit windy here but i have seen and heard of pleny of jewies on the bite... saw a guy come out of the water with 1.7m speargun in tow and then a bag full of fish one 10-15kg jew and three trevors. I caught a nice cod off the wall the other day.