Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sail Ho !!!!

Sail Ho !!!!

Hello all.

After finishing the outriggers midweek it was a chance to take them for a run off the Sunshine Coast today (as well as a get a reccy in for the Shootout - which we're apparantly fishing now)

Gentlemen's hours of 6:30 had myself, Leanne, Brooksy and Mick leave Mooloolaba bound for the closer grounds. The gear set up quite nicely with four skirted lures and one skipping gar plus a homemade witchdoctor and popper string.

Wasn't long before we found some bait and a quick run eventuated on the shotgun uzi but for no hook-up. I gave the reigns to Brooksy as I trialled the new harness I'd purchased only this week - just getting the feel of it with the rod bucket. As luck would have it the short corner band popped and a couple of metres rolled off the ratchet.

I ran to the corner to see a bill chase the lure down and continue to follow and wack the black, gold and purple meridian for about 30 secs before finally hooking up and peeling of line back through the spread. Leanne took over the wheel while Brooksy and Mick cleared as the sail easily reached 300m+ with only one jump.

A short chase and a bit of grunting (I'm definitely unfit) saw Brooksy stick him with the tag about 15 mins later. A few photos followed and he was quickly back in the water kicking and screaming to get back to the depths.

So it was all over - my first sail, made sweeter by the fact it was in my boat with my own rod, my lown ure and surrounded by good company.

The next hour saw the ratchets turn quite a few times but the only successful hookups were mac tuna - one which is still probably trailing my Pakula after a knot caught in the roller (sorry )

It certainly quitened down after that and we were back at Mooloolaba just after lunch. For me it was a memorable trip - my first sail - but it was also good to see the boat set up well with five lures working perfectly out the back.

Thanks to Brooksy, Mick and Leanne for helping me bust the virginity today and I hope to see as many as possible at the Shootout next weekend.

Bugman

Hook-up and taking line - or is that me panting

Re: Sail Ho !!!!

No jumping pics as the fish stayed pretty static throughout the fight. Boatside and on the leader.

I've got to admit I was pretty happy

It was the first fish I have ever successfully tagged and released. I hope someone somewhere has as much fun as me.

Nice fish Brett, light tackle and a big harness, come on mate its not that hard not many caught on lures up at mooba thats a feather in the cap for sure.

nice to see the sails around a pre comp fish this wk might be in order, theyll be gunshy after the comp thats for sure.

Good onya bloke!!
    What a great way to trial the new outrigger setup

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

congratulations mate, that is one thing that is definately on my to do list

seriously well done

cheers
    jason
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

Rob,

I swear to you I was trying out the harness to see how it would work - and wouldn't you know it the fish strikes. I thought well why not - I've got it on - might as well use it. It then went back in the locker asnd never came out

Thanks fellas

westie

Congrads mate after doing all the hard yards and then it all working we can only imagine how you felt. I asume it was you I passed going out this morning 6.15am I was heading back in and passed you just inside the harbour.
    If it was you then a surgestion, about 10 more rod added to the 10 already on the rocket launchers and she will look the part.
    That is a weapon of a rig.

Nice goin' thereBrett.Dont you like when a plan comes together
    Cheers Dazza

well done brett you will be remembering this day for a very long time. date time and everything else. hope you catch many more sailfish in the future. good luck in the shootout

cheers phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

A thrill which will be remembered for evermore. Congrats Brett!

Cheers
    DAve

Needmorerum

Good onya Brett, may a few more of us have a day like yours some day through our fishing life.

Corry

Well done Brett, Top fish. #Its great to catch a fish like that but its even better when you do it with your own gear in your own boat trolling the area you think is right. #Nothing like a plan that comes together. together.

Luke

Thats a great catch Brett [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] You should be pretty happy after all the preparation ... it payed off big time

Cheers,

Mark