Thread: Red rock

Red rock

Got back yesterday from a trip down at woolgoolga where i managed to get a bit of fishing in. Weather wasn't the best so we were stuck in red rock creek for most of the trip.

Fished monday for 7 flathead, a bream, a trevally and a sole. all the fish were caught on small 2 inch plastics aimed at bream. biggest lizard went 65cm and put up a good fight on 6lb around the snags. The bite was fairly good for the first few hours but shut down at high tide and no fish were caught after that.

Tuesday did the touristy thing around coffs but was cut short by the inclement weather.

Wednesday fished the creek again for 6 flathead biggest 47cm. The first four were picked up in quick succession during the low tide. We decided to go right up the creek and work the snags with hard bodies for no result then went back down to the mouth and trolled up the other 2.

Thursday gave the fishing a rest due to the strong wind and had a game of golf.

Friday took a charter and caught a bunch of rat kings and a mix of flathead and small reefies.

Left perfect conditions on saturday morning.

Was amazed by the number of no fishing zones and was also very agitated by the no cast net rule as there was a school af mullet in the creek in the 10's of thousands. What does everyone use to handle small flathead as i was damaging alot of mouths when releasing smaller fish and i'm looking for a better way to handle them

Re: Red rock

Here's a pic for you chemmy, biggest lizard for the trip

chanquetas

Good stuff Jeremy. Ive been wondering about that area. My inlaws live near Coffs, and we're heading down next week. We're taking the kayaks and were heading for the Bellingen but might have a look at Red Rock as well.

If i was going to take a kayak down i'd give the bellingen river a go for some bass, was plenty of grassy banks and sunken timber that should make some great bass territory. Best results at red rock came from a bit upstream of the boat ramp opposite the no fishing zone working the drop offs off the sand flats.

chanquetas

Cheers mate! I'll let you know how it goes. Appreciate the advice.

told you jeremy the big bend in the river is the spot for the big girls . bad luck with the hard bodies a month later and go up the right little feeder creeks in the red rock system and JACK LIVES HERE !