Thread: Somerset Dam 02/10/2005

The_Walrus

Somerset Dam 02/10/2005

Had a good trip with 18 bass from rat size upwards and one golden. The 2 biggest bass went 51 & 53 cms, the golden was 43cms. All captures between 30 to 40 feet in the paddock from the hump north. The other side of the spit was out of bounds due to jet boat racing. School were pretty scattered and holding deep, with everyone working fairly hard for their fish. Spent around one hour using SP's, spinnerbaits & jigs but no luck so went back to trolling. Don't think I'm an SP person

All captures on Voodoo 30+ with the orange/black being the best colour until lost possibly to a good size cod. The take started off pretty strong then settled to a slug match, not particularly fast but strong heavy beats felt through the line. Had it on for around ten minutes and never got a look at it. The line just went slack and on retrieving had about 10 centimetres of leader missing (Harrison Knotted dog for bass). The last couple of centimetres of the leader looked like it had been done over by sandpaper.

Other good colours were black/silver and pearl/burgundy.

Went as far as Kikleigh but effectively, no action north of the Eagles Nest area.

Arrived at the spit at 8AM and left at 5:30PM.

Now I just need to get the film developed !!!! Definitely need a digital.

Luc

chanquetas

Re: Somerset Dam 02/10/2005

Good report Luc, and a good result especially with all those boats racing around.

The_Walrus

Yep,

Defenitely whashing machine effect in some places. Plus, a few of them have problems with their distances.

Mostly the skiers were well behaved except for the tool who decided that making a 2 feet wash near the boat ramp was the way to get noticed. Unfortunately, the ranger wasn't there at the time. I'm glad my boat wasn't pulled up on the bank.

Luc

chanquetas

We went for a look there one day...doing a reccie for possible kayak fishing, but when we saw all the bloody skiers.....well we went to Wivenhoe instead.
    Didnt catch anything, but we didnt get buzzed by wankers either!

The_Walrus

Give Somerset to the skiers and open Wivenhoe to powered fishing

Luc

get the skiers and jet skis off all freshwater dams and stick them in the salt where they belong.i am sick and tired of being buzzed by the (OUR NICK NAME FOR THEM)milky dicks.

We dont want them in the salt, keep them in the bath water.