Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip offshore Sat 01

First trip offshore Sat 01

Hi all, #
    #Well I finally got to take out my new boat on Saturday, the weather was not too good with a stiff 15 knots greeting us at Cape Moreton, we went to some old spots and caught a few cobia, then headed north to some marks in the boats GPS which the old owner said were really good...Why would you leave them in there I though but hey worth a go. #We headed into the wind and swell which the old Allison banging away, as it was my first time offshore in it I was trying to figure out the best speed and trim settings. #I actually found it was better the faster we went averaging 40km and adjusting the trim tabs as needed (deckies like to move around a bit) Tried two spots at caloundra wide and did not do too well with some little odds and sods coming aboard but nothing worth a mention. #We then headed to a mark in 55m of water a further 15 or so k's north, the weather was not playing the game but the boat was fine and I was very impressed with the way it handled compared to my old savage. #We got there to find the mark covered in fish life, we got some pearlies, lots more cobia were in attendence however #to start with all around 90 cm or so. #We could not get livies on the way out as the old haunts were not firing but they loved pillies and was not uncommon to have them follow up a hooked fish and in turn get caught on another bait lowered down. #But after 4 pearlies which were hard to get as the cobes nailed everything my mate scored a rather large parrot, with that and the weather getting worse we headed back to Bribie with a following sea and that was a much better ride for all of us, the whales were also seen in the distance but we never saw any up close. #Anchored off bribie to clean the fish on the beach, the digi camera died after only a few shots so all the photos were of the cobia we caught earlier but hey at least i got some. #When I did charge it the reefies were at Dave and Adams place but there was no real size to them apart from the parrot.

Regards Scott

P.S. The "Poddy" is finally bloodied

Re: First trip offshore Sat 01

The first cobe from 55m

The catch oh and a word of mention to the pelican that ate a pearlie off the beach, hope you enjoyed it.

The somewhat not so sober crew and yes Adam did yack all day long...poor bugger

Great cobes scott, a very good start to the new rig!!

you did well in that wind chop

The pics do not really tell how bad it was, it actually looks like a real good day and I guess any day out there is a good day

You did well to put up with crappy weather all day scott. Nice looking rig in the back ground.

Luke

bidkev

Nice going Scott and you deserve some success going out in that. You seem confident about your new rig and that can make all the difference in whether you enjoy yourself or not. Congratulations.

kev

Great effort [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] especially for a new boat. A good omen for things to come.

Cheers,

Mark

Good to see you like the allison. And isn't it amazing how sometimes the cobes just want to commit suicide especially if one is kept hooked up in the water. Nice catch. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

sidewayz

Some good fish there Scott. I was just wondering what the name of your boat was?

Sidewayz

The weather settled through the day. We were off moreton and it was a bit sloppy first up but after lunch we had a light easterly. We got two 15kg cobes from big schools some spangleds and 6 parrotfish. Visability is a crappy 15m at the moment. Still nice day out.

Thanks guys for the comments, yeah it was a lucky trip and the boat proved to be great in all the conditions we found. Sidewayz the boat is called "poddy." Doug two at 15kg, a bit of a pull back to the boat Were you spearing fish on coffee rock or wrecks for the cobes?

Regards Scott

sidewayz

Thought it might have been Scott. I've actually been out in it a couple of times with the previous owner who stays up at Noosa in the caravan park every year. Bloody top boat, i'm not too happy he got rid of it ...

Sidewayz

Lacey

Hi Bluedog Welldone on the fish I've also got an Allison 189 and have been out in some pretty rough stuff of Noosa and 1770. I love the ride and think the stability at rest is the major winner for this boat. Great fishing anyway.

Bluedog