Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whiting trip and a bay Snapper as well

Re: Whiting trip and a bay Snapper as well

Tasty feed you have there SeaSaw, and a beautiful trip over.

The little psychos are starting to thin out a bit in a few places but it's definately been a great season for big winteries with some of them touching 35cm and in good numbers.

noluck

hi mark
    nice day out there mate looks like u really punch hard to kros to motron

no_luck
    good snapper bait for next trip

A nice soft ride for a change hey Mark? I bet the boat felt a little out of sorts, probably blew the socks of the normal whiting fisherman in there 12FT quinnies when you pulled up Well done good to see the old boy enjoyed it too!

Mitch

mark
    not your normal target species and yet you still managed to fill the esky
    the weather looked great. just getting out there and RELAXING
    well done mate

Daniel

Grab yourself a scaling bag from a tackle shop - can't beat them for big hauls of winteries. Only takes a couple of minutes behind the boat on the half-plane and there's not a scale left on them. Then you've only got the filletting to do. Nice to hear the winteries are back at the Sandhills. Last time I was there all I could catch were grinners. I pick up my new boat tomorrow so a trip might be in order.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Thanks guys, especially for the tips about scaling them. I wasn't going to mention my failed experiment, but we tried to scale them by towing them in an old onion bag. It blew a hole in the onion bag straight away and we lost a few fish So I did learn that onion bags are not strong enough for the job.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus
    Hi Mark, probably an old tip- but one of those mesh catch bags help with the scaling- just add fish, tie off securly and hang over the side for awhile on the retun journey home.
    best regards,
    lew
    this works a treat. I always use two bags though. On fine and one coarse.....just adds a bit of protection against losing the catch. And don't hit the throttle too much or all the fish will lose their heads. Just fast enough that the bag begins to bounce on the surface....will save you heaps of time when you get home