Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big King on SOFT PLASTIC

Big King on SOFT PLASTIC

Went out of the Tweed with my mate Kevin with the objective being some deepwater jigging and maybe a trip out to the canyon for a troll. Left the bar at first light and tried a few spots on the way out with no results. Got to the deeper marks and quickly pinned two little rat kings on chaos jigs but the current was really going so we brought out the big gear and headed to the canyon. Spent 2 1/2 hours dragging some conas up and down with only a few dolphins coming over for a look see. Headed back to the kingie mark and were straight into some good size fish but the sharks would not let us get any to the boat. We got a few more fish up to 4kg but lost quite a few to sharks. We didnt feel like feeding them so headed back to the shallows. The water looked really good at Fido's so we stopped to cast some plugs over the shallow reef. We had a few explosive smashes from big kings so I rigged up my spin rod(the one with 14lb braid and a 20lb leader) with an Atomic jerkbait and flicked it the area that I had a smash on a plug. Two flicks of the rod tip and crunch, I knew I couldnt stop the fish so I let him scream off on minimum drag and he didnt brick me. Carried on with the gently does it and put a 15kg king in the boat 35min later. What an awesome day, It was probably one of the greatest fights I have had with reef all over the place. Just shows you that it never always goes to plan, lucky for me I stuck the spin rod in just for in case.

Good fishing Guys
    Roderick.

Re: Big King on SOFT PLASTIC

The pic of the king on the 6 inch Atomic jerkbait

Putting a bit of a bend in the rod

Something the sharks left us.

did you lose any of your jigs to the sharks ?

Thats a great fish on the outfit you were using
    well done
    morty

Once again flickflack,
    you never fail to impress!! Great work mate. What do you mean by plugs?? Big poppers?? If so what sort?? Any info would be great.
    Cheers Fritzy

chanquetas

cHoly shi&! Thats a ripper Flickflack! What lb line did you use for him????

Mishinoffishin

14lb braid mate.
    A very healthy looking kingy mate. Fish must shake in there boots when they see you coming and the greys must know to follow you around for a feed .
    Cheers, Jay's bro

noluck

well done flikflack
    thos kingy are back breking fish #but there are tru fun to have #tham on the end of line
    lools like u had good weather or it allways good weather on shark cut
    cheers no_luck

Vertico
    No mate we were pretty lucky, there were teeth marks all over the jigs and the leader got chewed up but we got them back each time.

Fritzy
    They are a hard plastic lure we call plugs, they skip across the surface like gar and pelagics absolutely love them.They look like this

The different size plugs

Wow. That's a top effort Roderick. Well done mate. Few things more exciting that winning a battle with a big king in shallow water. Sensational!
    It's high time I got my boat back out there. There been too much landscaping to do at my house!
    Wes

Point_Blank

ive used those plugs also and they are awesome those kings, makeral and tuna etc absolutly love them they are simple and work extremly well

benny j

Top effort, I always look forward to your reports, you sure know you stuff.