Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud Island Snapper on SP's

aquarius

Mud Island Snapper on SP's

Howdy Folks, Jim and I decided to do an overnighter around Mud.
    We left Whyte Island boat ramp at 3-pm Saturday and it was a bumpy ride to the western side of mud.
    Once there it was much calmer due to shelter from the n/e wind.
    Started drifting the plastics and only picked up 1 squire to 40cm before darkness set in.
    Lost a nice mackerel due to the braid digging in on the spool oh well you get that sometimes.
    Switched to bait..(yes i know it seemed strange) for the night and had a 5 minute fight with a giant stingray......thought it may have been a good snapper...lol
    We moved around several times during the night from deep to shallow water but just could not find a decent fish anywhere.
    Time to have a few hours sleep before the mornings plastic session.
    We started our drift at the crack of dawn and found a few undersize squire and then all of a sudden my rod bends in half and the line screams out at a hundred miles per hour...We both yell SNAPPER
    5 minutes latter and after half a dozen good runs Jim nets my biggest snapper to date......4 kilo (66cms) of prime snapper.
    Not a nobbie but i reckon its ok for the bay.
    10 minutes past and then Jim had his plastic take off before 2 head shakes and the light 8 lb leader gave way.
    One lucky fish gets away to fight another day ;
    Not many boats out last night over at Mud but after that wind abated it was a pleasent night with a few small ripples on the water.
    Looks as if im still asleep in the pic but sun was shinning in my eyes..lol
    At least the snapper was looking into the camera lense.
    Cheers #Brent

Re: Mud Island Snapper on SP's

Thats a nice fish Brent, get some tasty fillets off that fella

well done brent thats a solid bay snappa. you've got to be happy with that

cheers phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Well Done, thats a very good fish for the bay
    Was it caught on a zoom? or baby bass? It sounds like the weather was good too.

Brett i went to the seaway last night with no result only one undersized flathead.

Congratulations Brent, nice snapper.
    It must feel good to get something to really stretch out the new gear.
    Cheers
    Duncan

Good stuff Brent,

seems like mud was the place to be in the bay last night....
    where i wasn't

your best to date's are getting bigger
    I'll keep workin while you guys keep fishin
    regards Darren

aquarius

Steven you are correct.......The #4" zoom baby bass jr. on a nitro 1/8th 3/0 heavy wire hook........caught in 6.5 metres
    The area where you got your biggest squire.

Duncan the new gear sure got a workout and i'm more than happy with how the combo performed.

Darren #sorry you had to work mate but we left a few bigger ones for your next trip.

Cheers #Brent

Brent,

I tried in close on the west till the wind eased and the seas were less lumpy, then gave the south east a go. Couldn't loose a bait in close, so went out wider to the wreck. Perhaps they stayed in the deeper water away from all those jellyfish. I think there were a few tailor or mackeral out there as well chopping up the surface from time to time. Got bitten off as well. Probably should have sent out a floater pillie on gangs, but I had a plan to experiment with circles so concentrated on that.

Was planning an overnight trip. Had the cooker and eggs ready for the morning. But being in the odd situation of not being able to target the main fish of the day, I headed home just after midnight.

Looking forward to catching one like yours at Mud. Top catch.

Cheech

bidkev

Good fish Brent, and all the better for taking it from an area that gets well hammered. Nice one mate.

kev

Nice fish mate. We strugled out there yesterday and only just managed a feed. Wait till you get one that hits the 6kg barrier out there and then you will know about it. Catch up next weekend maybe.

good work Brent,

Mate that's one nice fish for the bay, yep I'd call him a snapper at 66cm.

As I left for work this morning I could see a glassed out Moreton Bay all the way from Reddie bay to Peel ..... some days I could just scream

Picked up some plastic weapons from Leon, so keen to give them a work out.

Cheers,
    Tony
    PS Go the Cowboys
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

Good on ya brent thats an awsome snapper for the bay.Bet your heart was in your mouth when you first got a look at him.Always seems to fish better around the new moon.

Cheers leigh

adriancorrea

Well done Brent
    Nice fish, were you using Jims secret stuff lol?

Tight Lines
    Adrian

Love your work Brent! As I mentioned, I was down south for the week and I couldn't wait to get back. I'm looking forward to a Tupperware session at Wello sometime in the near future.

Neil

GREAT fish Brent!!! Bet he went real hard!!! Only 8lb leader??

We hit Wello on Saturday morning...and couldnt believe how many fish were on the sounder!! Got blown away a few times, plenty of undersized as well. 2 nice keepers for three hours work!!
    I also caught a rat yellow tail kingy!! Gee they go hard, very hard to stay hooked up on though, we certainly had some fun!!