Thread: 35's 4/10

35's 4/10

Intended getting up for an early start but the weather forecast was a little dodgy, so shut off the alarm and went back to sleep. Eventually got myself going and on the water at the very gentlemanly hour of 10 am. Was going to look around the bay for some tuna/macks but stopped of at Harries first. Reasonable showing of fish on the sounder but only caught undersized Snapper. As the water was near perfect decided I might still have a little play around outside. Got to the 35's after 12 and proceeded to bag out on reasonable size snapper (to 3 kgs) in 7 baits and about an hour and a halves fishing. Dropped 1 and threw back an undersize. Wind started to shift to the SE so bolted for home. Wet trip back across eth bay to Wello but a good haul of fish. Also picked up half a dozen at the same place on Sunday. Had drifted along the reef for three hours first up for one remora and then bang 6 in an hour. Just goes to show that you need to keep trying things as we had just changed sinker size and bait.

Re: 35's 4/10

It's a bit tough when no one replies because there are no pretty pictures.

The wind is a bit up and down at the moment so it's good to see someone risking the quick changes for the good feed.

What sort of boat did you go out in?

Angla

Well unfortunately the budget hasn't stretched to a digital camera as yet. Prefer to put the dosh into the boat and tackle first LOL.

My boats a 15ft Centre console, Gets me there with out any scares as I know it is strong and I make sure the day is right. Always check the weather and make sure that if it does blow more then predicted I am coming home downhill or at worst a little beam on. Just have to put up with being wet if it is beam on although with only one on board I can always make sure the screen is between me and the spray. Yesterday was no major problem coming home. The ride across the bay was worse then outside as it usually is.

redspeckle

Bowser
    By reading you fishing report [smiley=bigcry.gif] well done
    I have never bag out yet iam lucky to get 50 % of it Dam I should have when out I got up but their was fog every where but I was bit supect on wind for cast in the afternoon 15 to 20 knt so end up going to work instead than having a sickie which should have done [smiley=hammer.gif]
    What was current runing like out their [smiley=huh2.gif]
    What channel end up going through out there and back
    Mitch

The drify on Tuesday was quite OK unlike Sunday when we were drifting at around 5 klicks. Tuesday was generally around the 1.5 to 2 kmh. I used the Northern channel but will probably use Amity in future if there is a strong run out. I find that it doesn't stand up as much and therefore is a lot easier and safer. Coming back wasn't a problem. Sunday the northern channel was easy but the run up to it was more like a washing machine then a channel.

This was my 4 th trip to the 35's and I am finding that I am getting better at setting up to give myself a chance to catch fish. On my first trip conditions were perfect a very slow drift and the light sinkers floated beautifully and I bagged out. Went out the next day with the wife and didn't raise a scale. The drift direction had changed and was much faster and I didn't compensated enough for this variation. On Sunday we fished for 3 hours before I decided to give it a solid change. Then caught 7 fish between us in an hour.

Most fish I have caught out there have been on the drop with the reel in free spool. I fish the sinker right onto the top hook which is a sliding snood. This goes through the tip of the squid and the bottom hook is placed through the bottom. The rig and knots I picked up from talking to a couple of the guys in the small workshops at teh boat show. Before that I was very hit and miss, although when we hit it was good. Have a 6 kg Bay snapper and a slightly larger sweetlip to our name.