Thread: north pine river sat night

north pine river sat night

gday all,

back up here for weekend so went out straight away! put in at the petrie rail bridge and casted for some livies. crikey - some big boys netted, along with great poddies! also netted a 40cm blubberlip bream (blackall) - has anyone else caught these in the pine? amyway anchored just east of the bridge and nailed a 55cm flattie in no time. as the tide really started to ebb, the eels came on so we moved down towards the paper mill for a longshot at a jack. were there for three hors with livies out - nothen. had some shark runs on the eel head but no takers. all in all a great night. no pics sorry. whereabouts are the cement banks around there? thanks heaps and good luck all.

cuzza

bidkev

Re: north pine river sat night

Cuzza, by "cement banks" do you mean "gravel workings"? If so. they're just through the bridge. I've never heard the term "cement banks" before?

There's another gravel working further down stream at the sharp left kick at Castle Hill basin which has a deep hole at the red marker and just outside the green marker there's a sunken barge that holds jacks. It also holds some enormous pike eels if you need a bit of a laugh :-). It's very snaggy and you have to explore it with a sounder at high water........low water (king tide) and you may just lose your prop. I anchor up current and send a floater down to it........never yet pulled a jack from it, but the speed of the takes and the run for cover has me thinking they're jacks......I always get snagged > The pike eels seem to head for open water once hooked for some reason? and are an easier proposition. It's a good place for sinking a pot too as they are always in view of your boat whilst you fish.

cheers

kev

Kingtin
    Try the Devo, special,, 80 lb hand line that should put the breaks on them AND let you know how hard they go!!
    rando

gday kev,
    yeah thanks heaps for the advice sir. i'm yet to pull a jack outta the pine but i reckon they're there, and as you said, those runs you got sound very suspicious. as for the pikies, they are a bloody laugh! pulled in heaps last night. me mate and i shark fish in the pine and we always use these big angry mongers for bait. bloody slimy snappy buggers, but entertaining to watch em go rank in our ten foot tinnie! i'll try aroun d where you said the barge was next time i'm back for some jacks. just hope the catties stay away! take it easy and good luck mate.

cuzza

bidkev

Cuzza You're a braver man than me. My tinnie was 20ft and it didn't seem big enough once I got a pikey in there You watch those toes now mate I had one latch onto my rod butt and even after I severed it's kneck it still hung on

kev

lmao kev! yeah we have a policy once we cut the head off. we give em a 20min cooling off period before we grab em and hook em onto the shark rig, cos we've seen em, like you said, still snap ferociously well after decapitation! thetyre die hard mongers to say the least! how about the ones pushn 2mtrs? arent they just animals! i'll try and post some photos of the big boys when i get em from my mate's place. but yeah, in a 10ft tinnie, ive sometimes question my sanity over the years.. had some real thumpers causing absolute mayhem! love it! love watchen my big tough mate cr3p himself! thanks for the advice again!

cuzza

Crikey - shark fishing out of a ten foot tinny o What happens when you catch one. I wouldn't worry about the eels nippin your toes

Concrete banks are just after the second main right hand bend coming from petrie. The yellow line in the picture is the banks and the pink line is Petrie Bridge. The concrete is home to some big jacks but good luck stopping them. The green marks are the spots i have caught jacks before. Hope this helps

gday snapattack,

far out thanks heaps m,ate. very generous. are they just unstoppable at the concrete banks? what tide is usually the best? we went out to the barge again last night. caught a million catties and one blistering run that lasted two seconds before i got busted. unreal! do you get catties up at the banks? also, there were a million baitfish last night, with heaps of phosphorence,. do you reckon both of these minimise your chances? thanks heaps once again mate.

cuzza

Catties are usually only a problem when fishing with dead or small live bait. Try using live herring, the bigger the better or mullet around the 10-15cm mark. I think a lot of bait fish in the water is a good thing, especially if you injure your live bait a bit by either biting the tail or crushing the tail with something. This makes the livey look more vunerable than the other fish swimming around and we all know the predators will target easier prey. How were the mossies and sandflies up there. Today would be a good day to target early season jacks due to the heat. Remember the hot and stickier the weather, the better it will be. PS you will get some sharks fishing like this as well.

snapattack,

yeah the mozzies weren't too bad, but yeah they were there. yeah mate we go shark fishn up there all the time. we use eels though. last night the bloody catties were taking the poddieswhich were all around 10cm! great idea about injuring the bait, never thought of that. do you use a snell rig. we put two 4/0's on. you reckon theyre a good sixe for 10 - 15cm mullet? had success in the noosa using this, and the petrie and the baffle, but yet to get one in the pine. are they unstoppable around the cement banks? thanks heaps for the advice mate. oh yeah, what aboput phosphorous in the water - good ar bad you reckon? i got a jack on in petrie ck one night with heaps of it in the water, but dunno if that was lucky!? thanks mate.

cuzza

Great picture Im only new to Ausfish but I am blown away by the generousity and help offered by other members. I too have been told about the concrete banks but not really knowing where to locate them. Which is the best boat ramp for this area and are they fairly safe. It would be great to try and catch and release a Jack so close to home
    Cheers Karrier

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by karrier
    Great picture Im only new to Ausfish but I am blown away by the generousity and help offered by other members. I too have been told about the concrete banks but not really knowing where to locate them. Which is the best boat ramp for this area and are they fairly safe. It would be great to try and catch and release a Jack so close to home
    Cheers Karrier
    Mate, the ramp at deepwater bend (Bald Hills) has no beach and can get busy at weekends

It is definately not safe late in the evening or night. There's a small ramp at Petrie but I think this is no good at low water. There's also one at Dohles Rock which is safe but a longer haul to get downstream.

kev