Thread: Coolum 2/10

sidewayz

Coolum 2/10

Decided to head up to Coolum on sunday morning for a bit of a fish. My normal deckie was down at Byron for the weekend, so I decided to take my house mate who has limited fishing experience and has never been on the open water in anything smaller than the P&O cruise ship. Left the Mooloolaba ramp about 3.45 and was fishing by 4.30ish at spot X. Just on first light we started to get a few hits and by 7 o'clock had 2 squire, 1 sweetlip and 6 bream in the esky. With a few thrown back for good measure, including a turtle. Taking a virgin deckie although not producing any great number of fish (1 average bream) did have it's benefits with my mate creating a steady stream of burley for the mornings fishing.

Decided to start going for a bit of a cruise and came across 3 or 4 whales as well as a bunch of dolphins. Back at the ramp by 9.30 after a pretty solid mornings fishing.

Sidewayz

Re: Coolum 2/10

great work mate

How were the conditions in the morning?

sidewayz

They were absolutely perfect conditions mate. There was a little bit of wind chop around til about 6.30-7 and then it glassed out with a couple of feet of swell until be headed back in. I still don't know how he managed to get crook on such a magic day.

Sidewayz.

Ohh mate,
    i can relate to the stand in deckie. This kid can and will (and will continue to) get sea sick. First experience on a charter out of tweed, skipper rings at midnight - looks a bit dodgy boys... But i'll ring back at 3. Rings back at 3 am, yeah boys its pretty rough but if your keen... Bloody oath we're keen, i never get motion sick...
    Hit the water, and nearly drown getting through tweed bar. OK i'm thinking, this isn't too bad. Hit first spot, i am thinking yeah i've probably felt better [smiley=worried2.gif] [smiley=worried2.gif]. Drop 1 big pearlie - sweet as, no worries about a bit of nausea... [smiley=grin.gif]8 hours later catch included 1 big pearlie, 379 vomits, a splitting headache, and a tummy ache [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif].
    Think that was a sea sick as you can get. The deckhand who had been on the boat for over 11 years without getting seasick, threw up just by watching me!!
    Cheers Fritzy

The other time i got real sick, was first time out chasing mackeral in new 3.45 m tinnie. Beautiful day, with basically no swell at all. Caught a couple of big spotties chasing schools all over the place. Feeling good as gold. Then, stop the boat and start moving the mackeral into the shade, looking down and not moving... Not feeling to good i tell my cousins... Two seconds later, head over the side berleying like a champion... [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif]Cousins think this is a great joke , start drifting pillies down with my cornflake berley... Fortunately for me, no bites, otherwise they might have been force feeding me before every mackeral trip...
    Cheers Fritzy

chanquetas

Sidwayz, top catch mate, gotta be happy with that. Must have been the special burley mix you were using.... [smiley=dizzy.gif]

sidewayz,

nice catch, what were condition like when you headed back in and what time did you leave ?

sidewayz

Vertico, we came back in around 9-9.30 and the conditions were still magical. A little bit of a ripple on the surface but still perfect conditions. Fritzy, I've been crook once before and i was feeling it for my deckie but i had travelled 2+hours in the morning from Brissie so there was no chance of me taking the poor fella back in He didn't mind too much either...

Sidewayz

Nice catch, that snapper makes the bream look small
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sidewayz

Yeah it does but i can't complain The biggest of those bream went about 38cm so i was pretty stoked. I purposely took the photo next to the ruler cos i knew that red would make the others look small. A few more that size would have been nice. I'm itching to get back out on the water.

Great catch there sidewayz, Looks like you don't need the poddy for a good catch eh? Shame about your mate though, at least the conditions looked great. Regards Scott

Good catch David glad to see someone's working on eradicating those damn bream.
    Steve

nice bait there
    good for jewies

cheers pete

sidewayz

I try my best steve...