Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caloundra 4/10

Re: Caloundra 4/10

Cod looks over the 1 meter max size for greasy cod, well done on the fish though

Bloody big estuary cod there mate.. you sure thats legal?? looks over 1m... which is max size limit... sure is a hefty bugger, caught a heap of em a couple of weeks ago that size and bigger and they all easily pushed 1m in length.. you should check up on the rules tho yourself so ya dont get in any trouble.. we dont want another chemmy saga on Ausfish again

Tim

fair enough its over 1m but look at the eyes on it , wouldnt have survived a release

maybe it should have been not put up on the reports and just kept ?

I'm sure it's 1.2m for estuary cod. Mike.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Trust me, it was just under. We measured it three times to make sure. Can't take any chances, its not worth it. Mick

Good stuff Ratman looks like you had a ball.

Sharky the cod is actually an estuary and has a max legal length of 1.2 mtrs

Tim i would hate to be the one to tell you but it looks like you need to look up the rules yourself mate as Estuary Cod have max legal length 1.2m
    sorry Tim

I would like to see most big cod returned as they keep the reef system healthy which inturn attract other species but 9 times out of 10 its almost impossible to raise a big cod with out the swim bladder out its mouth or worse the eyes bulging. Spiking the swim bladder can work in some cases but when the eye's bulge the fish will not survive.

Each to there own and if its under 1.2m then its your decision to keep it so don't think you have done anything ratman and hope you enjoyed it for dinner.

Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Reefmaster the cod is a gold spot estuary, otherwise called a GREASY ROCKCOD and the max size stands at 100cm. Both gold and black spot estuary cod are classed as greasy rockcod and the max size on both is 100cm. There is now no 120cm limit on any type of cod or groper, I agree there is little point in letting these fish go when caught in deep water but these are the rules that they snuck in in the last lot of size and bag limit changes.
    cheers

Sharky
    Please click on the DPI website and have a look. You will see Estuary cod sizes are in the "other tidal species" section and not in "coral reef fin fish" section.
    It clearly states 120cm so if you think it's wrong then please feel free to contact DPI and let them know.

Also a Greasy cod is not an Estuary cod. Estuary cod can grow in excess of 200kg and well over 2mtrs in length while a Greasy only grows to around 1m. They have different markings and features to seperate the species. For more info read Grants guide to fishes.

Cheers Greg

If anyone can put the DPI link up please do as the link i was trying to display would not work.

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Here is the link. Still 120cm as far as I can tell.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html

Cheers,

Mark

ok nice fish ratman, if anyone wants to do anything for the cod just wind them up very slowly I find the eyes dont get damaged very often doing that, easy to pick a cod its like fighting a potato sack after the first run, lol.

Ive got the latest coral finfish guide here and while there is a greasy rock cod it doesnt mention gold spot estuary cod and the pic looks a bit different as well, so if my eyes are correct a gold spot cod is indeed an estuary and 120cm stands, all 120cm of melt in the mouth rubber boot

The info stated was given to me directly by fisheries when they boarded my vessel a number of times (Iam a commercial fisherman ). I will now keep the cod I used to leave tethered to to the side of the boat as spare anchor floats and make use of them.$. Hope the fish police don't board you when you have a 100cm+ cod in the box.