Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the Broardwater and Seaway

Fishing the Broardwater and Seaway

Went down to the Seaway yesterday just itching to wet a line and try my new reel (ended up getting a Shimano Symetre 1500 ) flicking soft plastics, and drifting for flathead. Arrived at the Seaway 5.30am, sun just coming up, looking like a beaauuutifuuul day. Two drifts #laterand the first lizard was netted (60cm.) The next couple of drifts produced some smaller ones but nothing legal. An hour later another 55cm lizard. It seemed to go quiet, so drifted overthe hole off wavebreak a few times for several undersizes flatties. They seemed to love the powerbait minnows but gee,don't they pong.

After little luck and the tide beginning to ebb I moved to the channel close to seaworld and began drifting until a bloke in a PWC decided he wanted to use the same area so I moved and began drifting up a bit. Suddenly the water nearby began to boil and the birds were going birko. Something #was chasing the baitfish into about three feet of water and the baitfish were taking flying lessons. I slowly motored closer and flicked out a 2" atomic shad,giving it a slow retrieve when WHAMMO, and it was hold #on as 30 metres of 3kg.line was peeled off.

A long solid silver shape leapt from the water 35 metres or so out but too far away to identify. It headed toward deeper water, peeling off line in the process,and with the tide running out, I knew this was going to be a long hard fight. Five minutes later another leap from the water and it started to circle the boat still staying deep. I began to slowly #gain line only to have it taken back each time it took off. How much do these 1500 symeyre's hold? Should've paid closer attention to the instructions when I spooled it up last night! I slowly began to gain the upper hand when it made a few more runs closer to the boat #and leapt again. Perhaps a tailor? no the tail was too forked, maybe a yellowtail king? but still too far away to #recognise.

Do yellowtail kings have sharp teeth? did it have gillrakers? was my knot properly tied? were there any frayed spots or weaknesses in the line? these thoughts raced through my mind as I battled it closer to the boat. By this time my left wrist was sore from holding the 2kg live fibre almost bent double for over 10 minutes but at least I was gaining line. Now and then I could see its shape below along with a few of its mates, but it still didn't want to come to the surface. I kicked the outboard up out of the water as the last thing I wanted was to be snapped #off on the prop or skeg, as inch by inch I brought it closer, each run becoming progressively weaker. It sat below the boat not taking line but not allowing me to gain much either.

A a mexican standoff at it's best. That's OK I'm in no hurry and can wait. After a minute or so I could feel it tire and began to put some pressure on,mindful that it might make a last minute run or two. Slowly #it came to the surface and #at last after 12minutes #of a long and hard fought battle I was able to safely land it. What an adrenelin rush. 60 cm and 2.9 kg of Australian Salmon.

Being hungry for more of the same (or being a glutton ) #
    I fished around for more salmon but no go, and after flicking for flatties on a good bank nearby,decided to call it a day. Total keepers for the day 2 flatties,1 Aust.Salmon. After that little effort I just love my live fibre and Shimano Symetre 1500 and thanks for you fellow Ausfishers advice on recommending it.

Hooroo Knackers

Re: #Fishing the Broardwater and Seaway

As I was reading that I kept thinking "salmon" but then kept thinking - nah not in the Seaway !!!. #They are such fun on light gear. #

I was one who recommended that reel (actually the 2500) - and I got the dirts with mine yesterday. #The fireline keeps getting caught down the side of the bail arm roller. #It goes back to the shop this week. #lets hope its not a "feature" of the reel.

Re:  Fishing the Broardwater and Seaway

Yeah Gunna,
    I could'nt pm you (not enough posts) I tried the 2500 and it was too big for my rod and the 1500 seemed to balance it better. It's a shame about your problem, I hope it's not an inherant design fault as I want to put braid on my other spool. Let us know how you get on.

I know schools of Salmon have been following the Tailor schools up the coast, but was sure surprised to see them that size in the broadwater.They were feeding on herrings (gut content) and by the size of the boil and those I saw there, must've been at least a dozen.

My mate wanted to jig for some as you could see them but I wasn't too keen as he had 15lb braid and I was using mono and did'nt want our lines to cross. I spose in retrospect he could've skuldragged his in while I was playing mine, but minimising any chance of dropping mine was paramount as you'd probably agree.

regards Knackers

Really enjoyed your report er..Knackers.

A really well related story.

W

chanquetas

Excellent report Knackers. Wish I was there.
    What size live fibre you holding? Ive got the small 5 1/2' for the kayak and I love it.
    Cheers,
    Jake

Great report, sounds like those salmon, really do put up a great fight on light gear, hope i get my boat in before they head back south.

Good on ya, thats a great fish... yeah I was thinking salmon too. Yet to catch one of the things... well done.
    Cheers,
    Jackash

The old salmon go hard dont they mate.We used to catch them down on the central coast up to 60cm whilst chasing tailor.Great fun on light gear.
    Hope you made it back to the ramp before that 200000 km p/h wind sprung up.I was working away on ephraim island today <not a breath of wind ,the next thing i know my hard hat was torn off my head and im struggling to stay on two feet.Talk about sneakin up on ya.

Australian salmon are a nice tasting fish if bled quickly and kept cool. Used to catch them as kids on big beach rods and 30 lb line and skull drag them in. Maybe they were smaller. That was in Victoria.

Great read Knackers

Angla [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

A good salmon is certainly a good test of any weaknesses in the little Shimano, there's no doubt in recent years, the better size salmon are coming further north up the coast.
    Great read also
    Richo
    Regards

Richo

Knackers, fished the seaway with my cousins (fritzy and jackash) plenty of times, but havent been able to experience catching a salmon. Great report mate, exactly what goes through your mind when the adrenaline is out of control and only thing on your mind is landing the fish. Felt like i was in the boat with ya! Congrats on a great fish and report.

cheers danny shep

Very well typed i loved reading it .
    I was in the Sea way on Saturday and did not see any action

Good story knackers, glad you like your new combo.

Steven
    Cheers

Steven

Re: #Fishing the Broardwater and Seaway

Quote Originally Posted by Chanquetas
    Excellent report Knackers. Wish I was there.
    What size live fibre you holding? Ive got the small 5 1/2' for the kayak and I love it.
    Cheers,
    Jake
    Hi Jake
    It sounds like the same 2-4kg. 5'6" .It's a great little rod, but I only wished I'd bought the 6'6" as I feel that extra foot would help more with the action off the bank or in the Tinnie
    regards Knackers

bidkev

Good report Goolies......er sorry, Knackers I was right in there with you mate. Good story.

kev