Thread: Threadfin

Threadfin

Hi guys chasing some info on what bait to for threadfin in the rocky area . Having a time trying to catch them . thanks greg30 [smiley=wut.gif]

Re: Threadfin

Mate should post in the salwater section, this is the section for reports

Greg,

Never fished for them around Rocky but they love live prawns. You will also get some interesting by catch (barra/jacks). They will take most livies (whiting/mullet), and I have caught heaps in the gulf on Nilsmaster spearheads and stalwarts.

Rather than a jerky retrieve as you would use for barra - just try a straight slow wind. Often you will just feel a weight like a flathead but all hell breaks loose when they realise they're hooked and they will sometimes swim at you. You know you've got a kingie on when the line rooster tails during that first run!

Shafty

Have had a bit of success by knocking the side of a poddy mullet then rigging it like a livie on a snooded rig,use this method of the boat ramp at Turkey Beach if nothing is touching the live bait.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Hi Greg I'm in Rocky too and haven't been able to bag the buggers despite all the reports that the river is full of them.
    When fishing in the Calliope I have always had great success with a whole pillie on a gang of 6/0's.

Cheers
    Dave