Thread: Shorncliffe Lizards (1 Oct)

Shorncliffe Lizards (1 Oct)

Went for a paddle and fish with a mate last Saturday arvo down at Cabbage Tree Creek @ Shorncliffe for a couple of hours.

We hit the water at 2pm and got back to the ramp at around 4pm. #Had a low tide at around 2:30pm.

We headed at to the mouth of Cabbage Tree Creek trolling as we went. #Mate caught a small lizard on his head bodied lure.

As outside was becoming quite choppy we decied to head back down the Creek. #My mate trolled his hard bodied lure while I cast a Kokoda SP prawn at the bank and poles along the way.

I caught a small 30cm lizard around one of the nav poles, and then hooked up on a 65cm lizard (pic attached) at the mouth of Nundah Creek. #Sadly my mate didn't hook up. #I was using my 6' 6" rod with Calcutta 200 overhead reel, which was loaded with 4kg braid and a 1.5 metre flurocarbon leader of 6kg.

Was a fun couple of hours.

Cheers,

Gigantor

====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

chanquetas

Re: Shorncliffe Lizards (1 Oct)

Good one Gigantor. I think Ive seen you out there in the past...must say gday next time.

Hey Chanquetas,

Thanks. The mouth to Nundah Creek is always a bit of fun around low tide. It becomes quite shallow and the various rock bars that cris-cross the mouth provide excellent ambush opportunities for Lizards. I've nearly given up on using hard bodied lures and totally converted to SP's in this area.

I've attached a pic of G2 (Gigantor 2). "Gigantor" is the 15 foot Rosco Canoe.

Yep say g'day next time and we can share our knowledge and maybe a cold drink. I'm usually out with the mate who has the green/yellow sit on top kayak.

Cheers,

Gigantor
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

chanquetas

I caught a 53cm flattie in there last week on a Manns stretch 5, but usually I just bottom bash a 3 of 4" powerbait, always get something.
    Anyway, if you see 2 hobies out there ( 1 sand, 1 green) , pedalling away that'll probably be me and my missus.
    Cheers,
    Jake

Hey Jake,

Yeah I'm over hard body lures right now. SP's have been getting much better results.

Hey have you ever sussed-out Hayes Inlet on the Clontarf side of the Hornibrook Bridge? Have always looked at it but never have a paddle and fish there. Wondering if it's worth the trouble?

Will keep an eye out for the 2 Hobbies.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

chanquetas

Pete, We look into the Inlet every time we cross the bridge and think we should go in for a fish, but never actually do it. No doubt we'd get plenty of flatties.
    Im taking a mate out on tuesday, probably from Margate boat ramp, but if its a bit windy we may just have a go at the inlet?

lovely set up there mate, perfect for flicking for flatties and the like.

cheers danny shep