Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinze Dam Bass by Kayak (Pics added)

chanquetas

Hinze Dam Bass by Kayak (Pics added)

First time at Hinze today, in the water by 0500. Chucking poppers everywhere and didnt get a thing, although I had a few strikes. Im not very experienced at the freshwater fishing and I think I was a bit fast in the retrieve. Need more practice obviously.

Anyway, after a while changed over to the old faithful, my number 1 favourite, most successful, most versatile lure, the Manns Stretch No.5+ in pink, aka Dr Death.

Within 60 secs I had a huuuuuge strike. BANG....line was reeling off, the rod was bent. Woohoo! This is what we came for. I fought him for a while then finally up comes a lovely 37cm Australian Bass. He's into the esky, as Ive been keen to try a good freshwater fish.

5 minutes later......BANG.......another one's on. Dr Death does the damage again! 35cm...released.

Spent the next hour or so trolling around trying to emulate this performance but to no avail. The bass were definitely OFF the chew....

Finally had enough so headed back to the ramp, on the way back had another visitor with about a 30cm Bass in the boat. Released.

On final approach to the boat ramp thought Id troll pass this nice steep wall, again with Dr Death, and HOLY CRAP....some MONSTER just grabbed my lure, shook his head and nearly threw me out of the kayak. Normaly with my drag on pretty tight, trolling a lure, get a hook up and you drag the fish toward you.....well this time I hooked up and was being dragged back to the fish...
    I had heard that the biggest bass to come out of Hinze was around 50cm, but this had to be bigger....I was certain. So the fight was on....head shakes......line runs....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttt tttttttttttttt..........more head shakes....wow..this was cooooolllll..... .
    Eventually I see my albright knot break the surface, and I knew the fish was not far behind...when up pops a long nose and sharp teeth! It was a bloody Eel.....

Well, once he saw the boat, and me, and the sunshine he wasnt too happy and I think he wanted to go back to the bottom.....But I didnt know what to do....this thing was easily over a metre long....he wouldnt fit in the Environet, and I didnt like the thought of him sharing the kayak with me....but I had a brief thought of him emerging from the smoker....so...

I grabbed the leader and tried to pick him up out of the water, but SNAP.....there he went back to the depths with my favourite, battle scarred lure.....

Lost a fish...lost a lure....but had a ball.

Woohoo! Until next time.....

Pics to follow soon.....
    Cheers,
    Jake

Re: Hinze Dam Bass by Kayak

Sounds like awesome fun, those damn pesky eels always stealing your baits etc.

Re: Hinze Dam Bass by Kayak

which ramp did you put in at?
    sounds like your first trip to hinze was a good one.
    my first trips to hinze a couple years ago where a bit bifferent
    4 trips for 0 fish.
    never heard of any 50 cm hinze bass for years most went over the wall years ago.
    you cant beat the hit of a bass .
    Just SMASH and their away.

Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

chanquetas

Re: Hinze Dam Bass by Kayak (Pics added)

My first Bass

chanquetas

Trolling the Bass....

chanquetas

Eel Battle!

chanquetas

You can just make out the Eel in this one...

Great report Jake.

Looks like a helluva lot of fun in the yaks.

Gotta get me a Dr Death, I reckon Mr Jack would find him very attractive !

PK

Top photos. Good stuff.

Jake
    Well done, can remember my first (and only) bass from the Mary River about 3 years ago they are a great fish on light gear.
    Going into the canoe scene in coming weeks and Hinze is 10 mins drive from my place so is in my planning.
    You and others have inspired me to give the light craft a go, after reading the reports.
    Cheers mate, Richo
    Regards

Richo

Excellent stuff, Hinze is a fantastic spot have been fishing it for 4 years now.

Well done

great pics

well done

scotty

gogecko

Good on you. I got my first bass there last summer at the NEW boat ramp about 5 kms up the road towards the NSW border. Ask the rangers about it, they will give you directions. Its a top spot and I got 35cm bass from the shore.

I assume you know you need a licence for Hinze ? They are pretty savage on fines, I hear.

Andrew

fishingnottake

whats hinze like landbased? or is it only worth it in a boat/kayak? are there any kayak rentals near there?
    ash

chanquetas

Quote Originally Posted by gogecko
    Good on you. I got my first bass there last summer at the NEW boat ramp about 5 kms up the road towards the NSW border. Ask the rangers about it, they will give you directions. Its a top spot and I got 35cm bass from the shore.
    I assume you know you need #a licence for Hinze ? They are pretty savage on fines, I hear.
    Andrew
    To answer you and Cloud_9, we put in at the boat ramp further up the road towards Binna Burra.

Permit yes of course.

Fishingnottaken
    I dont think landbased would be terribly productive. You really need a boat/kayak/canoe. Of course no motors allowed.