Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hinze Dam Bass by Kayak (Pics added)

Re: Hinze Dam Bass by Kayak (Pics added)

mate i have caught plenty of fish at hinze from the shore including one particular day two bass getting close to 50, but it is very spasmodic and the majority of times you fight ur way through the barred grunters etc.

The best ive done there is at the quary area and using live shrimp,
    good luck mate

hey to the other guys who regularly fish hinze, what species have u caught in there Ive only caught bass, jewies and barred grunters, with one elusive followup from a cod down the bottom of the spillway,

just interested if anyone has managed yellas, silvers, cod or toga in any numbers??

ps also guys where do i get a cheap yak or canoe for two people, im sikc of the bank fishing hehe
    Cheers,

Ben

Where is the quarry area mate?

when u get to the dam goto the wall and drive to the ramps on the western side, turn away from the wall and look to the right, walsk a few hundred meters towards the old quary u will see what i mean when u r there, fish along the depper walls

good luck mate
    shrimp was the key though, had little success with lures or worms there,
    Cheers,

Ben

Hi Jake,

Nice fish there mate.

Yella,

I spent a bit of time landbased at hinze a few years ago we got a few toga from the cliff west of the outlet tower, you could see them making there way along the edge (you are about 5m above the water in this spot) and cast a small popper in front of them had a few hits from bass doing this as well. Don't know if you can get there by foot now the water levels are up but might be worth a look. used to get heaps of big jewies on worms there as well.

Cheers
    Matty

fishingnottake

Quote Originally Posted by yellahunter
    when u get to the dam goto the wall and drive to the ramps on the western side, turn away from the wall and look to the right, walsk a few hundred meters towards the old quary u will see what i mean when u r there, fish along the depper walls

good luck mate
    shrimp was the key though, had little success with lures or worms there,
    Wheres the best place to get shrimp around the gold coast? is it easier to just trap them when i get there? or am i better off gathering them elsewhere?

G'day Yellahunter,

I think your experiences may be the norm.

I haven't fished Hinze extensively so I can't speak with a high degree of certainty on the subject but instead can only speak of my own personal experiences and say that I have only ever caught Bass at Hinze.

But catch fish or not, it is a beautifull part of the world and to catch a fish is just a bonus.

Louis

chanquetas

Well said Louis, Hinze is a great spot. We were happy to just cruise around enjoying the sceneray. but to be dragged around by Bass was a really good bonus.

i wana get a canoe or kayak so i can get among even more fish up there
    anyone got any ideas
    Cheers,

Ben