Thread: FISHING FOR GAR

FISHING FOR GAR

I posted regarding Red Claw in North Pine Dam and found out that the dam holds Gar as well .What bait do you use for them in the dam and can they be caught in other places on the north side of Brisbane?

Re: FISHING FOR GAR

use little bits of uncooked prawn for bait and we usually catch alot of them at lake Samsanvail(spelling)

also a small hook with a bit of dough on it you can mix cotton wool and vegimight with the flour and water mix it into a dough gar love it and the cotton wool helps it stay on the hook the vegimight gives it a smell of yeast

basically catching gar requires a small hook depending on the size of the gar I usually use an 8 - 10 but move to a 6 if they are decent gar, bait is personal preference, some swear by gents (maggots) but i prefer tiny pieces of squid or prawn, another alternative that I have used is a bean bag bean threaded onto the hook and then bound to give the impression of a gent.
    Ross

May your lines be as tight as ....

just a silly @ are these gar any chop for offshore baits as i have seen them @ the view area and as im not too bad at catching salt garries was wondering if it would be worth trying a couple out side cheers foockchucker.

The_Walrus

I prefer to eat them myself but I should think that you could use them as trolling baits.

As for catching them, their great fun on a fly rod using a bread fly size 10 to 12.

Luc

we have a dam here full of freshwater gar and I use them all the time for offshore troll baits. They work fine for tuna, mackerel, dolphin fish etc and I will be trying them on billfish this season. Only problem I've found is you only get about one good size one in about every 20 but they are in plague proportions.

Some years ago I picked up a juvenile black marlin on freshwater gar trolling the 9 Mile off Tweed Heads, while trying for wahoo

Richo
    Regards

Richo

boyzie

ive heard a little bread with a drop of vanilla essence on a tiny hooks works a treat