Thread: Cruising Out Past Cape Morton

Cruising Out Past Cape Morton

idday all

Like many of you, I am wondering when we fisho's get a better weekend day when the weather is a bit better than so so... Last Saturday 1st October was another one of those days it was hard to predict what the weather was going to do, so flicking SP's around the bay in my 15ft mustang was ruled out, so I managed to score a trip with my uncle in his boat where it really does not matter as much in his Cruisecraft 685 with twin 115 4stroke Yamahas!! Its nice for some I know!

PLan was out past Cape Morton armed with nothing more than soft plastics on light line. But the best part of the whole day was taking a mate with me, who seldom gets a Saturday free due to work and family committments.

The photo attached is of Andrew's PB Snapper. What a Buzz to see a mate set a new PB for Snapper only to break his record an hour later with this 4KG fish. I know it is still not huge by many standards, but we will be back to see if we can increase his PB size!!

What a top day we had!! Thanks Bribie 196!!

Re: Cruising Out Past Cape Morton

Nice looking fish there Scalem...I am hoping to spend heaps of time up that way in the coming months...well done..sure sounds like a nice rig your uncle's got there...cheers

Indeed, Photo came up nice. The day started very ordinary when even in a big boat, it was hard to stay standing when it was rocking so much. But the wind died right off, swung around to the SE. Just when it glassed out between the change of wind direction, we found a mark where all three lines were going off. Mine went something like zzzzziiiiinnnngggg snap! Buggar! Another 10 mins and we had to pull the pin as the forcast was SE to 20 Knots. By the time we rounded the corner back into the top of the bay, it was already getting close to that. But we marked the spot on the GPS, so we will be back!

Scalem

Great catch on a plastic mate and what i'd give to have an uncle with a boat like that Good luck next time and maybe the weather will play the game on a weekend for a change. Regards Scott

finga64

So how many fish did you catch that day Scalem??

That's his last pb squire

aquarius

Quality table fish there Scalem.......Care to share info on plastic, jighead weight etc.
    You mentioned light line.........interested also in the depth because i have a friend with a larger boat than mine and we are going to hit the shallow grounds off the sunshine coast in the near future.
    I would imagine the current at this time of year could restrict plastics being sent down on a light jighead.
    Any info greatly appreciated.
    Cheers Brent

Hello again!

I am told that the number of fish we caught was unusually quiet, but we certainly had an audience back at the Spinnaker Sound cleaning table - and I am not only talking about the pelicans!! See photo There is a pearl perch in there as well that took the SP. I respect that I might not get another invite on Uncles' glorious boat again! But hey, suffice to say, SP's work a treat outside as well as the bay! No secret there! Tuna, Snapper, Pearlies, Redthroat, Cobia....

Let me know how you get on Brent!
    Scalem

And the Tuna, yep, same "Mate" who stuck to the one SP and caught most of the fish. It's OK Andrew, I "might " get you out with us again!!!

Scalem

The tablefish at Spinnaker Sound ramp