Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feed of Spanners

westie

Feed of Spanners

Wow I must be getting old because what I use to do in a hour now takes me 3 hours to do.
    Years ago getting a feed of Spanners was like catching Bait, but now you have to work bloody hard to find them, spoke to one of the Pro's out there and they run 15 on a line and leave them down for 20 Min only ans they just Grid an area and work the hell out of it, for not much gain.

Me slow and easy 4 flat traps lay them out in a line in 30m of water baited with Mullet, leave them for 45min pull them up by hand and if there is some in them I will remove the good ones and throw back the Sm one's and drop the again.
    if no good leave it in the boat and move to the next one and if there is some in that one I will drop the other on in the same area and so on.
    After doing this 3-4 times I have enough, normally like about 10-12 good size ones you are permitted 20 Per Person but just for us that is all we need.

Headed over to Coolun reef for a scout around and found some good reef and anchored up, could not get a bait to the floor through the rubbish, when I did on 2 occasions something took a liking to my sinkers, both times on the drop line went slack I stuck and nothing just the top hook it took the bottom hook and sinker.

Home around 2pm and started cooking them now i have Brownie point to burn and if she is happy then everyone is happy

Cooking ....... Cook in Sea water, bring to the boil, drop them in, when they return to the boil give them 7-10 min and remove the and drop the into SEA WATER to cool them down and place in the fridge to cool or eat them HOT.

Re: Feed of Spanners

Hi Westie,

Well done mate! You forgot to add "race some over to Tony's place"
    Cheers,
    Tony

westie

TONY's Place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT TONY's Place

Hi Westie, have never caught a spanner before but have just bought three flat traps to give it a burst off the south passage bar.[love hunting and gathering] . Dont know how i'll go but have seen pro's working near flat rock in about 48mtrs. I was out there today but I did'nt take the spanner pots as I didn't think the weather was going to be so good, was perfect. Bagged out on snapper to 4kg and2 big pearlies. Will let you know how I go with the pots when I take them. The current out there today was 0.5 knot NORTH !!!!!!!!.

Westie,
    I have allways been curious about catching these ugly looking aliens and i might add tasty although i wish they came with more size to them!
    I went camping over the weekend at north straddie and during that lovely breeze( sand storm) took a stroll down the beach collecting pippies for bait , during this i caught or they caught me! what appeared to be juvinile spanners! Do they have stripes ( the juv's) ?
    Westie could you pm me some advise on what traps you use etc what areas are the best or if anyone else out there could would be great , would only be a novice in this area.
    The season is open i gather ?
    Michael

Michael this is how you catch them
    And you dont even have to cook them, they come already red

These are the bycatch, taste just as good

westie

Hey webby......... that rope looks a lot like
    Nahhhhhh could not be Telstra rope

westie

Quote Originally Posted by luggo
    Hi Westie, have never caught a spanner before but have just bought three flat traps to give it a burst off the south passage bar.[love hunting and gathering] . Dont know how i'll go but have seen pro's working near flat rock in about 48mtrs. I was out there today but I did'nt take the spanner pots as I didn't think the weather was going to be so good, was perfect. Bagged out on snapper to 4kg and2 big pearlies. Will let you know how I go with the pots when I take them. The current out there today was 0.5 knot NORTH !!!!!!!!.

If you are going chasing them the best bit of advice is to get 6mm rope Minum or you will cut your hands on the thin cheap stuff get a GPS mark on them so if the weather turn for the worse you know where they are and use BIB floats.

Biggest problem for you, it seems, is Do I bag out on Snapper or Spanners. as they do sound the same. Think before you go GATHERING YOUNG MAN it is hard to do both the same day

Westie, thanks for the advice on rope size, only got 4mm, also the 'young man ' compliment, I'm 61 , you must be f.....n old?

thanks mate looks like hard work. Am i wrong about the juviniles or were they the little suckers cleaning my toes?

Like bloody lice arent they

Well done Westie. #I keep telling myself I must try some spanner crabing. #I have been punching in marks as I come back through the pro pots for a while now and meaning to give them a try. #Most of the marks I have gathered seem to be out in about 50m of water.

Cheers,

Mark

Weastie thats a great feed what you got, i was told that they where in the 50m water to. Guess not
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok looked into it , i think i have the general idea and for those interested it exstends on what Westie has said . Webby have you got any of these traps we can put in next time? My question about the mesh westie is ... when we talk about 25mm diameter is the mesh similar to that of a crab pot or more closer to a whitches hat? Oh by the way im the young fella

http://www.yaffa.com.au/fw/green.htm

Michael