Thread: Rat Kingies, tailor and nice sunset at the seaway.

Rat Kingies, tailor and nice sunset at the seaway.

Hi boyz,

Went for prospective look in the seaway this afternoon. #Found plenty of bait schools but only a few birds working.
    Scored 2 rat king's on soft plastics. #I got one and Lynchie busted another off unfortunately. #Mine was on bass gear .. 4kg baitcaster and 10lb braid, 14 lb leader and S*#T THEY GO HARD! #

Caught a ray in the mouth on a large SP which was NOT on the bottom???!!!

Next boat scored the odd tailor but they weren't really on the chew. #Looked really fishy with the overcast weather but we couldn't stay for the top of the tide unfortunately, which would have been bite time after sunset.

Looked really good out there today. #If the rat King's are in there should be some fun on light gear. #Forget about the North wall just look for schools on the sounder or fish the rough water next to the rocks, but carefully. #I had 3 on board so where it was really shitty next to the rocks I drove while the 2 others fished.

I gotta work this weekend but look out for those King's #... great fun! # #

Re: Rat Kingies, tailor and nice sunset at the sea

Another happy photo!

Nice sunset on the way home.

G/ day Franco looks like you had a top time with the rats, and the conditions looked very nice too well done ! Are you the guy who runs the reddie bay bait and tackle shop ? if im wrong sorry but you look just like him

CHEERS RAY

I must have an (unfortunate) double mate. #That guy you know must be an ugly Motha!

well done mate, looks like a bit of fun

Good one franco , havent got one of those in the seaway yet. Its on my things to do list.

Ps went for a jck this morning again and dropped one. Went at 3 and still at work ,bloody hell, things we do for fishing.

Cheers Rod.

Thanks boys

Yeah Roderick you damn right!!
    Just got out of the shower and rushing to pick up my girl hangin out with the main beach crew for dinner and a drink.#I'm always late for the same reason and buggered too. #But it's always worth it no matter how much your ear gets chewed off! #Rod those king's are heaps of fun on light gear when you can see em on the sounder and then drop a jig straight on their heads and hang on!! #It's just like bass fishin except you break more shit on the boat in a flurry of panic!

Anway better catch up with the yuppie brigade for a feed!

Ciao!!

Some nice fish there mate. What is the best time of the year/season to target these rat kingies in the seaway Franco?

Regards
    CT

Ray,
    I wish that was me in the photo, I've been chasing the Kings around the southern Bay but without much success yet.

Franco
    Greetings from your double! nice kingy too. What sort of retrieve was working for you?

Cheers

Duncan

Hey Duncs you unlucky sucker! It's a shame neither of us are famous otherwise the other could live it up!!

To be honest guys these Kings in the seaway can be really hard and a lot of it is luck, right place at right time with right technique. Guys here often go scouting, and sometimes they bust up right in front of the Grand Hotel boat ramp but stuffed if they'll eat your lure! They often disappear as fast as they appear and that's it for the day.

We've caught em on livies, heavy jigs like those used offshore, small plastics, metals, trolling minnows and poppers but it's really a hit and miss affair. I don't have enough knowledge re seasons etc to chase em, but they seem to be around when the water is clear and the small white pillies are around.

I usually just have a heavy barra baitcaster (20 lb braid / 40 lb leader) with a few larger lures / jigs on board if I happen to find a school of them for long enough as they are often larger then the ones hooked yesterday. The few we have kept tasted like shit though (powdery potato -like) so we throw most of em back.

Duncs I haven't any experience with the bay, sorry.

Hi duncan
    they come around when the water temp drops below 22 deg.
    they are around but not staying for long in one place.
    cheers vince