Thread: XMAS beetles = Mackeral time

XMAS beetles = Mackeral time

I have been told this story a few years ago. So tonight when I was out on the verander a xmas beetle appeared.

Has anyone else herd this wives tail. Bring it on anyways!!!!

BTW fished out at the 36's with Tiger yesterday trying for more kings. Tiger had his new Saltiga Z40, and we only maanged one hook up that resulted in knot failure. There was heaps of good fish on the sounder that just didn't play the game. Got home at the right time to watch the hail smack the sh*t out of everything in the yard.

The water temp was 25.4C approx at it's hottest approx 5mile offshore and 21.8 just off the beach.

Bring on the Spanish Armarder!!!!!

Cookie

Re: XMAS beetles = Mackeral time

Mate it refers to a time gone by, when many years ago before the slaughter of ring netting came in, you could usually count on the spotties showing up when the chrissy beatle started to appear.
    Hopefully with ring netter gone and a few years to recuperate, these myths of the past may return.
    regards

Cookie

Webby is quite right . This was told to me by a couple of the more senior members of the mackeral gang when I started fishing for them a lot of years ago . Doesn't mean they will be around in numbers just a reminder to dust off the gear and start prospecting for a few heh .

Chris

25.4..... I WISH!!! we only had 24.07 off the northern tip of fraser this weekend (guage has been caliberated- many arent)

Good to hear the fish are out there ....sucks you loose your only hook up to knott failure .!!!!

i too have heard of the old days and mackeral showing up around the same time as beetles ...ne can only hope those days come back to us

sure that temp is right ? i agree off the beaches should be around 22 , but would find it hard to believe there are any patches out there above 24, let alone 23 . i could be wrong , but 25+ seems incredible for this time of year...if there was ...what the hell am i doing sitting here posting on the net # #

SST shows currents just hitting 24 off fraser , jeffo may be right ...calibration may be in order ?

there was a temp spike on the 13th of PL just under 24c, most sounders temps need adjustement, my ray is 2deg C higher than what it is.