Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heath does Cairns

Heath does Cairns

Saw the call for a deckie from Bazzaman for a trip out wide off Cairns, so what does one do when on holidays in Cairns? Answer the god damn call, thats what!

Met Shane ( Bazzaman ) at Yorkeys Knob ramp at 6:00am, was a bit worried as the wind has been up a bit for the last few days. However all this was put to rest once we left the ramp. The shipping channel was a bit bumpy until we reached deeper water and once there is was smooth planning to SPOTX.

First few drops attracted little more than a couple of small reefies which look sort of like whip tails. These were kept for felsh baits. After an hour or so, Captain Bazzaman decided to try a different spot. We threw the lures out the back & started off to SpotX2, we come accross birds working and first past through "BANG" we're on! First thoughts was that of a mac tuna but then the fight went real funny, with just a dead jittering weight. Then we pulled aboard half a mac tuna..OUCH! The lures were deployed again for another pass & on the second pass the TLD 25 starts screaming. Captain Bazzaman motioned for me to grab it, but with video camera in hand, Captain Bazzaman took the fish. After a few more runs & calling for a blue, we pulled aboard a Barracuda. Mean looking suckers they are! We continued to SPOTX2 and anchored. We were getting a few bites and C&R a few small trout. AFter an hour or so we were off again in search of the elusive coral trout. We come over a bit of a gully with fantastic shows on it, so we anchored up. Had a couple of touches and Captain Bazzaman got done over a few times. Then "BOOM" I was on, hoping not to loose the fish, I got it over the side, my first coral trout ! WOOOOHOOOO Was absolutely stoked!!! To rub it into Captain Bazzaman, I pulled his bait he lost a few minutes earlier out of the fishes mouth!!!! Threw the next bait down & after a few minutes I had some interest. WHACK! I was on again, this was a better fish, with it taking a few runs, killing my pinky finger joins OUCH! Finally landed a nice fat Emporer. The weather just got better and better while out there. A few more touches and Captain Bazzaman got bricked several times. Then the line burner from hell hit! Not stopping that sucker on a handline I gotta tell you!!

After pottering round a bit more, we turn the nose towards home.

What a fantastic day!
    Was good to catch up with you Shane & thanks for taking me out. Had a blast!
    If you visit the Gold Coast, you're welcome aboard "AQUAHOLIC" anytime.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Re: Heath does Cairns

The Mac Tuna - CAIRNS STYLE!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Bazzaman's mean ol' ugly cootta.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

My first Coral Trout. Had it for dinner tonight...YUM!!!!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Sweetlip. Damn thing killed my fingers.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

The tough conditions we had to put up with.......

That Cay in the background was covered by water about 3 hours ealier!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Finally, the wounded pinky fingers. Damn handlines
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Ouch! good to see the weathers been kind to you! Looks good for the coming week as well. Might have a spare seat later in the week, I'll give you a bell if it pans out

cheers,

steve

Great fish! Looks like Michaelman's Cay? Got a couple of bommies marked there where you can usually find a few trout....so much country, don't you love FNQ? Also, love the lure selection...they are the first I put on when trolling up here.

Shafty

Awesome time by the sounds of it boyz; and what superb weather!

And geez they're fun on handline's ....... till you feel the line cuts OUCH!!

Well done Heath; and love the name of the boat!

good stuff shane and heath. sounds like a ripper day. well done shane on putting heath onto his first trout.

pitty the barracuda wasn;t a spaniard

cheers phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

bidkev

Good report Heath. You don't sound enthusiastic at all.

cheers

kev

Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky_Phil
    good stuff shane and heath. sounds like a ripper day. well done shane on putting heath onto his first trout.

pitty the barracuda wasn;t a spaniard

cheers phil
    Hes already had his fair share of those phill, hes prolly more stoked with the cuda being a species we cant catch in our local grounds

Well done Heath ya lucky mongrel, some quality fish there. So you didnt buy that trout from the fish shop after all !!

Good report

how nice are those trout when they come up from the deep. especially when they are that deep orange with bright blue spots. the old man caught his first ever coral trout at 5.8kg on a live yakka using a crappy old penn ultimate 7 foot boat rod and an abu 6500 reel. Got the footage and all on digicam. the old man had never let out more crys and expletives since I was born!!!! Fed the family for weeks to.

andrew

Yeh was a good day on the water, however a little slow on the fishn front!
    It was good to have Heath get his first trout and first hard body caught fish.

The livie we had out the back couldnt buy a fish!

Hope your fingers get better soon heath, they definately sure do rip ya!

Thanks for comn out and hopefully ill be back down the coats oneday!

Shane