Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cabbage tree ck mystery brutes!

cabbage tree ck mystery brutes!

gday all,

at 1am and the temp still 28degrees i left the mates and rode down to cabbage tree ck to try my luck. tide just started to ebb. boat ramp behind the yacht club. netted some niddies and threw a livie out. 30pd mono with 50pd trace. two 3/0 mustads. no interest, so i decided to cut him nearly in half and threw him back out. then BANG! drag flew off so i picked her up and let her run. then she stopped and i hit her, then off again. the power of this thing dragged me two metres then cut, everything gone. pulled line in and was frayed on the mainline. re-rigged, threw out again, then same thing. this time the brute stole the bait. the third time ii held the rod the whole time - two real violent snaps then off again, but then same thing - dropped the bait. brought it in and huge chunk outta this 10cm biddy. fellas, i cant figure out what it woulda been. was thinking a small bully, but caught many of these and didn't behave the same. then thought jack, but i havent come across one that pulled so bloody hard! was too strong to be a ray, as ive caught millions of them! so yeah, i got no idea!!!!! any thoiughts would be greatly appreciated, cos its got me buggered! thanks heaps.

cuzza

ps. i also thought the terrain wasnt right for jacks, but then thought maybe jewie - but in cabbage tree ck?

chanquetas

Re: cabbage tree ck mystery brutes!

Cuzza, Veeerrryyy interesting.....I reckon it was a Jack....but it might have been some stray Jewie as well. Sounds like good fun mate! Maybe I can hook up and get a free tow for the kayak...

lol chanquetas,

mate he'd tow you a mile, i'm telling ya! yeah jewie comes to my mind too. but never had a jack pull THAT hard. mate he was an absolute machine! coulda been a massive boy though - arghhh, so bloody frustrating! good luck mate.

cuzza

Shark?

chanquetas

Quote Originally Posted by rando
    Shark?
    Actually, thats quite possible. Ive had a few cut fingers from a shark when chasing things much smaller.

gday fellas,

yeahi thought that at first, but it just didnt behave like the bullies i catch normally do. then again, it was lighter gear, so maybe. it just seemed far too severe to be a jack - then again you can never underestimate those purple gods. but ive caught a few and never been that severe. bloody unreal innit? crikes i love fishen! so much better than spending a sat night in a club full of drunks and eyeing off a sheila i know i'll never get! thanks heaps, and keep your opinions rolling, cos most of you'd know a lot more than me!!!

cuzza

Eels! The old cabbage tree creek I have been fishing all my life and those eels just keep getting bigger.
    Earlier this year I was crabbing just past the co-op and to pass time I tossed out a poddy on a hand line, few minutes later and the line was screaming. I managed to get my line back and to my suprise it was the biggest eel I had ever caught comming in at just under 3M.
    Shane

I was gonna say big eels too........
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

bidkev

Mate, I don't want to pour cold water on thoughts of more exotic fish but I'd lay odds that you're talking stingy or shovelly here. Not your everyday commons but blue spots. They take off at speed and the moment they turn the line gets caught under their wings, hence the fraying. Yeah, I know, You've probably caught stingies that felt nothing like that but believe me, those blue spots can move and feel entirely different. Anyone who's caught one of a decent size, will confirm.

Look on the opposte bank to the pier at low water.........you'll see that it's thick with huge lay holes. I've had quite a few whalers from there but they're very sluggish, and catties to 7 kilos so they *could* be a contender, although the frayed line would likely count that out.

cheers

kev

gday kev,

i actually saw a heap of lays right near where i was but counted them out cos i've caught heaps of rays - some over a metre wide. but i dunno if ive ever caught a bluespot, mine have all been the ones from the pine. so yeah, maybe was one of them! the chance of it being an exotic species are slim to none in that area, so i guess i will have to come outta fantasy land. they must go like freight trains! and as you said, the toothies are usually sluggish! can you catch the bullies there regularly? landbased? i might take the ig rig down if so. thanks heaps for the advice!

gday shane,
    3metres? holy sh@t!!!!!!!!!!!!! i thought our 2metre ones from the pine were monsters! bloody hell!!!

Cuzza

bidkev

Cuzza mate, yeah, there are the odd whalers at cabbage tree. The better proposition is Sandgate (shorncliffe) pier, or Woody Point. There are some dedicated shark anglers using Sandgate pier, although now I have a boat, I have abandoned my earlier efforts atttempting to land a Tiger or large hammerhead, but I can assure you that they are caught from there and fairly frequently. The big stingies and shovellies are a nuisance though...........being fairly shallow they'll easily see and take even a floated bait.

One young bloke who works at coles bracken ridge, has caught several tigers and big whalers using eel as bait which he takes out about 200 metres form the pier in a little rubber ducky then comes back to the pier, straps himself on and waits :-)

My biggest was 75 kilo but I've seen a tiger going 5 metres caught on there and there used to be a photo of it at the tackle shop at woody point and the tackle shop at the caltex garage on gympie road.

Don't know why it isn't publicised more considering how many people swim near the picnic area there. Apparently the poles that you see sticking up there used to hold a shark net many years ago and if you ask my opinion, it could do with holding one now......it's only a matter of time before someone cops it there..........murky water, plenty of mullet and scraps thrown off the pier........prime shark country

cheers

kev

As much as theres some very good idea's thrown around here, im still thinking big bruiser jack. Havent caught many but from what everyone says they will throw you up in the sticks in no time. Just fuel for thought, try it again soon and see how you go.
    Matt

the way they responded to the fresh cut bait, I'd say eel. Eels have a big nose and come out at the smell of blood or stinky bait water. Bite marks say eel as well....

Big Cod ?

cod with bite marks on a 10cm biddy that pulls hard? right!