Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cabbage tree ck mystery brutes!

Re: cabbage tree ck mystery brutes!

Quote Originally Posted by morty103
    A 3 Kilo mangrove jack would absolutley sh#t all over a 3 kilo cod, mangrove jacks are the hardest fighting fish in an estuary pound for pound without a doubt, and around structure will give an angler far more stick than a sluggish old cod.
    Yes, what your saying about cod is true in regards to their 'Torque' but a jack will dust up an angler in no time, whilst a cod will inhale a bait and cruise slowly back down under a snag for dinner time. Although a cod is a reasonable fighter, you'd have to say a jack around the 3 KILO mark would do over a cod in most peoples books.
    I have no doubts that a cod around 20 kilo would definitley pull someone around in a canoe very easily, but just imagine if a mangrove jack could reach that size , although its not possible as the bigger specimens move offshore and the record for one is around 15 kilo from memory. But if a jack was physically able to reach that size in an estuary it would probably be the most feared fish by any angler
    Thats my opinion anyway
    Cheers
    Morty
    Jackash
    Where have i agreed that a cod has more torque than a jack???
    I have agreed that cod have lots of torque, but i havent agreed that they have more than jack

All i wanted to say was that a cod of 3 kilo would get done up sh#t creek by a jack of 3 kilo.
    Morty

Morty,
    Billo suggested he believes that a cod has more torque than a cod, then you stated, "Yes, what your saying about cod is true in regards to their 'Torque'"... seems to me thats where you agreed a cod has more torque than a jack.
    Anyhow, i don't think anyone is trying to dispute the fighting prowess of the jack and the fact they do dust up a hell of alot of anglers... including myself, but what billo is saying is in terms of jsut brute strength a cod has alot of power... potentially more than a jack... whereas a jack jsut hits and goes and goes but its also its erratic fighting ability that does alot of anglers.
    Cheers,
    Jackash

I'm still vouching for a big eel - don't think it's a jack, jew or cod. Kingtin is probably also close. Perhaps a massive catty?

While I was down at Ceduna on the main loading terminal (~5 metre up above the water) I hooked a rather large eagle ray on my heaviest gear. I had a fresh 500 metres of 30lb line. On each flap he/she drew an incredible amount of line. One jump and a few more flaps I had around ~150 metres of line left. I had been pulled well away from gear and knife that had been used to cut up bait. It was rather strange to see ~300 metres of line straight out in front of you at 5-6 metres above the water, just getting further and further out. The only thing left to do was that I had to ask a woman to come and quickley cut the line before I was completely spooled. Anyway here you could definitely feel the flaps and thrust,

Bloody hilarious !

Yes Jackash , your right ....only a fool would say that a cod puts up more of a fight then a Jack .....and that statement was never made

we are / were talking about specific dynamics and the ability of a certain species of fish having more ' torque ' then another...nothing more , nothing less .....and he agreed a cod would have more torque then a jack ..nothing more , nothing less ....everything else is irrelevant as it was not part of the statement....quite simple ...not sure what all the fuss is about .

fishingnottake

geez you look happy in that first photo kev,

Kev - you should have a special vermin photo collection in the saltwater section. They are great pics - don't suppose you have a few battle scares from the rays? That tail looks like it could have easily wrapped your lower leg. [smiley=whip.gif]

BTW Kev I think you're right with the opposites of the bay regarding the shovelies. Diving at amity and cowan you quite often see large 2 metre plus shovelies hovering above the sand in the current. They look pretty freaky hovering.

The biggest one though I've seen was over at amity. A blue spot around 4 metres - no joke. It actually surfaced right next the jetty around 6.30 am. Apart from me, a young boy was there hyperactively fishing, here and there. He saw it and chucked his toy line in in front of it - his eyes bulging right out of his head and said "oh oh I'm going to catch it" [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=anxious.gif]

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by fishingnottaken
    geez you look happy in that first photo kev,
    That's not a smile mate. That's strain I'm holding it with just two fingers in the sockets behind the eyes. Don't know if it works with Oz rays but I was taught from an early age that if you held a skate like that, then it couldn't whip it's tail. To date, I've still got me wedding tackle............not that I use it that much

kev

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by DICER
    Kev - you should have a special vermin photo collection in the saltwater section. They are great pics - don't suppose you have a few battle scares from the rays? That tail looks like it could have easily wrapped your lower leg. [smiley=whip.gif]

BTW Kev I think you're right with the opposites of the bay regarding the shovelies. Diving at amity and cowan you quite often see large 2 metre plus shovelies hovering above the sand in the current. They look pretty freaky hovering.

The biggest one though I've seen was over at amity. A blue spot around 4 metres - no joke. It actually surfaced right next the jetty around 6.30 am. Apart from me, a young boy was there hyperactively fishing, here and there. He saw it and chucked his toy line in in front of it - his eyes bulging right out of his head and said "oh oh I'm going to catch it"

Yeah Dicer, I've got a dent and scar on my shin from a big eagle ray.....sort of It dragged me along Sandgate pier and smack into the waste bin at the end. The bin cut my shin and became infected. I was laid up for weeks and will remember to keep my tetanus up to date in future

Strange you should mention Amity 'cause that is where I got my first, on that little pier,when I first came to Oz and they had me hooked from then on in. I'm glad this thread has gone the way it has 'cause it's nice that some folks can recognise the brute strength of some vermin and you're right.......When you see a blue spot stripping off line and leaping they cease to become vermin in my book. Like Jackash says, when you handle a blue spot it is all muscle and even when it's in the baot the fight isn't over. They're not just good chewin', they are definately a force to be reckoned with.

cheers

kev

fishingnottake

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    [quote author=fishingnottaken link=1128836673/45#49 date=1129071588]geez you look happy in that first photo kev,
    That's not a smile mate. That's strain I'm holding it with just two fingers in the sockets behind the eyes. Don't know if it works with Oz rays but I was taught from an early age that if you held a skate like that, then it couldn't whip it's tail. To date, I've still got me wedding tackle............not that I use it that much

kev
    [/quote]
    i used to catch them bare handed like that when i was a kid i'd to corner them in the shallow water over at macleay and herd them towards the shore til they were almost beached then grab em, worked a treat til i dropped one and it spun and got me, thought the pain was bad until about a week later it swelled up to buggery then i knew what pain was, it;d left half it;s spine and a bit of sheath still embedded in my leg and the doc had missed it almost went gangernous, took 6 months to properly heal, started to take the pitch fork with me after that.

was fishin with a mate in the coomera river with live poddy mullet months ago, came across a likely lookin snag. cast 5 or 6 livies into it each time gettin absoluely busted up. You could feel the bait being crunched but no matter how much drag or pressure on this fish we couldn't extract it. there was no hit and run just sucked the bait in and sat there. we picked it for a cod but until you see a fish and have a photo it could be a whiting on steroids.

I pulled a 4kg cod from just south of myora light I call cod hole, due to the number of gold spot, maori and blue maori cod i have caught there. And it pulled more like a snapper - blistering runs big bumps and lots of head shaking took me 10 minutes to land on 8kg braid and cheap jarvis walker kmart special rod, and I had picked it for all money to be a snapper.

best thing to do is go back and try and catch the bugger. maybe upsize the leader or use circle hooks to try and lip hook it.

andrew

mega muddie?

jewie or jack

This is your mystery brute:

Caught today in Cabbage Tree
    Shane

I can see the bite marks on its side..... top bait species