Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAIRNS - trout mania

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

CAIRNS - trout mania

I pity the poor workers slaving away on this sunny day. I set out to see if I could find something better to do. And what do you know, success!

Started out early and headed for a couple secret spots (sorry, no hints). Weather looked a little iffy from the land, but once out there it was awesome. Took a couple of drops with the anchor to get the position just right, then first drop and there was braid hissing through guides wherever you looked. Fat trout were the order of the day, along with some of the biggest Coral Cod I've seen...

Re: CAIRNS - trout mania

every bait was getting smashed in short order, and before long the esky was looking fairly plump.

the bait situation also started to look grim, though was helped along with a couple of turrum

It was really frantic fishing, and in just under three hours fishing we nearly had our bag limit of trout for three anglers. For a change of pace we decided to try throwing deep divers across the shallow reef flats.

This was great fun on braid, catching a decent variety

plenty of these solid sweetlip looking things (they pull hard)

and the highlight of the day for me, a 58cm trout out of about 1 metre of water on 20 pound braid. Awesome!

I'm fast becoming a fan of throwing lures accross the reef flats. I saw all the fish take the lure, and the trout was shepparded by at least another two of his mates. Great stuff in beautiful clear water.

And to think, some people have to work!

cheers,

steve

Nice

Mitch

good stuff steve

some awesome fish and great photos there. nice red eskie.
    that photo of the trout on lure is awesome. can see all the coral bombies

top stuff can;t wait till the next report

Cheers Phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Good stuff steve, Looks like you have the spot for the trout thats for sure. Ill find one sooner or later the produces good numbers. Might have a go at those lures too. Looks like some fun in such shallow water!

Well done!

Shane

Hey shane, yeah I'm thinking of doing a trip just targeting trout on lures in the shallows. Been getting a few lately and I've seen each one take the lure. Bit of a buzz. Just stand on the nose of the boat and crank the drag up hard!

cheers,

steve

Thats fantastic fishing... stuff we all dream of.
    CHeers

Hey Steve,

Did I just see on another post by you that you'd kept a GT for tucker????

Great esky of fish. I've never seen so many coral cod, and you want some of my marks...maybe I should be getting some of yours!

2 more weeks and I'll be fit enough to head out again. We'll have to get out wide together?

Shafty

Ha ha, yeah shafty, I'll blame toohey for the GT, it was his first big fish and coincided with a work bbq that night, so seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'd never seen so many Coral Cod before either, or that big! I think the smallest one was 45cm! Came from a big bommie rising from 139 feet to 120 feet and back down again in the length of a boat. Fish all over it - only fished it once before for similar results. Left the reef to head home around midday due to lack of ice - bummer.

Always interested in a trip out!

cheers,

steve

Just noticed - Silver fish member. Well done. Where did you head, north again? Had a look at the GPS a couple of days ago and will have to start visiting some of of the marks. So many marks, so little time. Day off today but got called in,

Shafty