Thread: first fish on sp's (no pic sorry)

first fish on sp's (no pic sorry)

ventured up to double island and noosa river mouth for the first time in since getting the noosa croc.........arrived about 7am and headed straight to the mouth.......things were nice but a lot of boat traffic......birds working out behind the last breaker..........then weather turned ordinary after about an hour so headed up the beach in search of nice gutter..........tide running out and wind picking up made for very ordinary conditions...........headed back to the mouth and persisted in throwing sp's in the shallows in search of that lizard.........going for about an hour when WHACK...........i got my first fish on sp's...50cm flattie........wooohoooo..........loved it..........went straight back in and remembering what someone had told me on this site about them schooling up around this time of year - i threw back to the same spot then WHACK..........another smaller specimen (30odd cm).........was absolutely hooked on fishing with sp's and next day went down to BCF and loaded up on sp's..........never really liked the idea but now estuary fishing has become exciting for me again.............sorry no pics but those who have caught fish on sp's - i am sure would have had the same smile on their face when they caught their first fish..........cheers

les

Re: first fish on sp's (no pic sorry)

Good one Les still waiting for my first so no how happy you are.
    Richo
    Regards

Richo

Well done. Congrats. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

thats it mate, it only gets better from here

Great Stuff Les.

2 weeks ago lost my virginity on the SP's with 2 flathead to 55cm and a trevally.
    It was a totally new style of fishing for me. Know how you feel.
    Lets hope theres many more soon.

Thommo

You want to be careful Les. Fishing with sp's can become very addictive as I'm beginning to find out,particularly when you sight fish with them. Looking forward to hearing bigger and better reports from you in the future.
    Knackers

On ya les,

Once you get your first couple you cant stop, it'll be all you use from now on , hope the sucess continues.

FINCHO

YEP I caught the bug to,being going pretty well on the flattys.
    In the last 4 trips I"ve caught more flathead then I did in the whole of last summer live baiting.Yet to get any bream.Just brought a minn kota so I hope that will change.
    cheers stu

cheers for the comments guys.........heading back up there this weekend to have another crack and maybe land some bigger fish..........taking the missus too so hopefully she will get hooked...........will be in a red pajero if any other ausfishers wanna say gday.....is there any particular types/sizes/colours/brands that different fish prefer..............and has anyone ever tried them in the surf??

The disease is called "Plastitis"
    Symptoms- Unable to walkout of a tackle store without a bag of new SP's.
    Cure- None known at the moment.
    Prognosis- As one becomes more proficient in the use of SP's the disease takes over the body, all the mind can think of his SP's.

Sorry, but I've just caught this disease and want to warn others of the ramifications.

Regards Cameron.

Congrats mate.

Quote Originally Posted by shut_up_and_fish
    cheers for the comments guys.........heading back up there this weekend to have another crack and maybe land some bigger fish..........taking the missus too so hopefully she will get hooked...........will be in a red pajero if any other ausfishers wanna say gday.....is there any particular types/sizes/colours/brands that different fish prefer..............and has anyone ever tried them in the surf??

Congrats on the flatties mate! They're VERY addictive!!!

In regards to colours for species, I've had good results on colours like Pumpkinseed (In the berkleys) and Black/Gold & Avocado (In the squidgies). I quite like Smelt Scales (In berkley) for bream as well as Cinamen Flake (In the Berkley Power Hawgs).

Sizes - Bream will happily take 3" berkleys, as will flatties/trevally/pike/etc. So that would be where I started... You can also look at some smaller 2" Power Hawgs for bream

Types - Very personal choice I think... I really love the Berkley Power Minnows, Gulps & Power Hawgs. Have also had some success with Squidgies in the Squidgy Fish & Curl Tails, but the Berkleys have outfished them by a mile.... The Atomic 2" Fat Grubs are also worth a look.

It just takes time to try a whole load of plastics and find the ones that work for you. You start to get a couple of "old favourites" after a while... But always try loads of different ones to find out what ones they like on that day.

Hope this helps mate.

fishin dan - awesome mate - thanks a lot - i already have my favourite

i think its called a powerbait mackeral about 2-3"

I can't remember who posted it a few weeks ago, but there was a S/P bought from "The warehouse" in a 4" fishy lookin thing with eyes, which caught a nice jew. I rushed out and grabbed a packet, and used one in the southport broadwater. My deckie had no sooner finnished scoffing at the size of this plastic ( we were targeting bream) when I got a massive hit. Lost half the body, so I put another one on - got another hit and pulled my PB on Tuppaware - 68cm Flattie. Certainly silenced my deckie who's PB stands at 62cm.

From then on I have the addiction too. Go to the boat shop and buy flares.... and a pack Jig heads. Next trip I need a new 20ltr fuel Tank.... and a pack of Berkley 3"minnows. My wife has put me on a budget now....

Scalem

Congrats Les, the first one is always a good'un