Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 kilo plus kingy.

Re: 20 kilo plus kingy.

Thanks fellas.
    BB- The large slimie mackerel (about 28cm) was rigged on a sliding two hook rig. The trace was a new florocarbon leader material put out by Surecatch. 40lb. Its a bit hard to explain the rig without a drawing, but I'll try.
    This yeaqr at the Brissy boat Show I made bloody hundreds of them in the workshop area. They are very simple but highly effective.
    Firstly, feed the leader through the eye of a Big Gun 8/0, let it slide on the trace. Then tie on another hook on the end of the leader with a Uni knot, or equivelant.
    The first hook will then be able to slide down onto the bottom hook.
    Then cut about 30cm of light line (I use about 10lb).
    Move the loose hook up the leader about 20cm from the back hook and hold trace along the shank of the hook.
    Then wrap the lighter line around the hook shank and leader and tie reasonably tight.
    Then continue to wrap the lighter line around the leader and shank of the hook about twenty times and then continue to wrap the line back UP the shank to were the tag end of the first knot is near the eye of the hook.
    Then just tie the two ends together with granny knots. Trim off and the hook should be able to be slide up and down the leader.
    It may sound confusing but it is really simple and even when the lighter line is cut or worn through by the fish it cant come off, it just slides down onto the rear hook. Both hooks normally end up in the fish.
    Cheers

"May your ratchet keep screamin"
    www.ausfish.com.au/bpc

well done thats an awsome fish!!! now im keen to go give my local greenbacks a workout!!

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    The fight only lasted 40 minutes
    Holy Moly thats a good catch! Had a tussle with a jew for 15-20 mins and I was knackered already.

Nice Yellowtail (that's what we call them here in California).

nice fish
    do you put the free running hook through the mouth of the livey or the hook on the end of the trace through the mouth
    cheers

Hi lazeabout, I put the first hook up through both jaws or as shown in photo. There should be no pressure on the back hook and the tow point is from the head hook. This way when you are winding in the livie it is getting towed from the head and will live longer-if not smashed by some creature .
    This is a terrible photo, sorry. But it will give you an idea. The purple line is the lighter peice that is tied on seperate.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    "May your ratchet keep screamin"
    www.ausfish.com.au/bpc