Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frazer weed, no weed

Frazer weed, no weed

12-30am sunday 9/10 we got away to a flying start. Up to gympie, top up with fuel and off to inskip for an hours kip before the barge starts.
    Stop on the hard ground at inskip and let the tyres down on 4x4 and boat, off we go on the sand and there we stayed for the next 2 hours waiting for someone to come along and give us a hand, bogged to the balls. So much for having an hour.
    sand between the hard road and the barge is a killer. There is no bottom as there has been no rain and the sand is like powder.
    Towed back onto hard ground and we found a ramp to the beach which runs down hill so down we go and onto the barge. Phew.
    Off the barge and then a battle to go the first 2 or 3 ks as the weed was thick up the beach and you only had a wheel track to travel in and that wasnt real flash. Through there and away we go up the beach without any more problems.
    About 2 ks from indian head some darlings were fishing in a gutter and had the hard sand blocked off with their 4x4 so we went around and that was a big mistake. Bogged to the balls. 3 hrs later we get to orchid beach at 1pm. 12 and a half HOURS. The soft sand around indian head and middle rocks is something to endure.
    Unpacked and down th waddy rocks for an afternoon fish and got a few small tailor.

Day 2.
    About 6-30am brett and i hit the water for a run out to a mark i was given. As you saw in the goldie m& g photo the weather was GOOOOOOOOD. Full steam ahead skipper. About 13 ks north and we hit this bommie. Look at the *&^%$#$#@! fish on the sounder brett says and believe you me it was black. Floated over it a couple of times and got smashed off. We were drifting to quick so out went MY ANCHOR never to be seen again. We stayed here for about 5 hrs baging a yellow tail king fish about 80cm, amberjack 65cm pearlie, parrot and a couple of others. If we could have got in what was busting us off, we would have had a big catch. The fish were big and hiy hard and we couldnt stop them. Brett broke an overhead rod trying to hold one of these buggers. That afternoon we went down for an arvy fish but thta bl##dy weed was in the gutter.

Day 3.
    Same time and spot and brett is on and fights a cobia for about half an hr and gets it to the side of the boat and just out of gaff range and there it goes, pulled the hooks. Would have beeen a goood 15 lbs. I got smashed off while he mucked around with the cobia. Then comes the down side to this venture. Brett the darling got my missus on the p1ss the night before and she came out with us. Carton of stubbies and 5 bottles of wine. Well she was spewing in a bin and i couldnt stand it anymore so i said to brett will we take her in and he said yes that quick it made me think he was going to be sick. Im the one who normallly sp#ws. Back we go and thats the days fishing.
    Down to the waddy gutter that arv and a couple of nice tailort for tea.

Day4.
    Same deal we head up to the bommie but didnt notice 2 other boats following us that we had talked to and told them about being smashed off. We stop on the mark and trying get this anchor down we were given was a problem without chain. These other boats came around us and stopped right where we were trying to anchor. If you blokes read this thanks very much foe being so rude and if we had some spare sinkers you would have worn them. Anyhow we went to another spot and did a few drifts but did no good. When these other blokes had gone we went back to this bommie and got the pick to hold with my sand anchor tied to it. Again we got smashed but couldnt fight these fish with the overheads we use down here. The gear wasnt good enough. You learn these things went you go there. That was it for that day weed in the gutter and around the rocks at waddy so no arvo fish.

Day 5.
    This was supposed to be a tourist day and show the girls around a bit of the island. Look at the sae it is a flat a s##t carters hat. See you girls later. In the water and out we go thinking we might go due east over the gardners reef into deep water. About five ks from there we were pounding, the sea was a b#t#h. Rough as guts. We came back and did a few drifts anlong the close reef between waddy and indiab head but did no good. We were and a nursery ground. Every thing we caught we threw back.On the way back to the beach we saw a hammer head shark swimming beside us about 8 foot long. The first day at the bommie we had a big one swim around us for about an hour.
    Back to the housr for breaky and over to watumba creek for a fish. Got out of the car and everyone said SANDFLIES. Well thaat says it all half an hr and back to the east side. Down the beach for the arvo fish in the gutter and it was on. Green back tailor like i have never caught before. We ended up with abou 12 between us heaviest about 5 pounds easy. Didnt we get busted off by some big one hit and your line just snaps infront of you. Didnt even get a chance to play them. My missus enjoyed the tailor fishing.

Day 6.
    Bugger. Time to go home.
    Pack the car and boat and got a friend we met up there to come with us to indian head incase we had a problem in the soft sand. Went down in the middle of indian pass but a quick snatch and down on to the beach. Frowm there to home easy running with tide right out.

Brett will post the photos tonight when he gets home. Thats a bit much for me at the moment on this thing.

A few points if anyone else is going up there.
    If at inskip at low tide take the first ramp to the beach and go along there to the barge. The end of the road is a killer. Not only did we get stuck but about every second 4x4 did towing a trailer. We exited back this way without any problems.
    The inland road is the best i have ever seen it as they are doing it up and i believe they may sut hook point off from what we heard. Getting off the beach to the inland road and back onto the beach you need a tow vehicle as the sand is very loose.
    Indian head is very soft and you will need a tow through there. We had 2 tow vehs pulling us with the boat.
    The track over middle rocks wasnt to bad. One spot we had to back up and have a better go at it.
    The ramp to the beach near the shop at orchid beach is ok going down with a boat but you need a tow to get back up.
    The track over the hill at the camp groung was the easiest for us to get off the beach.
    WEED. Not a geat deal at waddy but from about the mahino south it gets worse and worse to the point that it looks like an oil slick down near hook point.
    Unless it rains and the sand gets harder take a friend with a 4x4 and a good strap to pull with and let your tyres down to about 15 pounds. TRUST ME.
    If i have missed anything brett will post it with the pics.
    Thanks to maztez for keeping you up to date. And watching the billy lids, and the dogs and the cats and the horse and............................................... .........
    I hope i didnt bore you
    Graeme

Re: Frazer weed, no weed

Sounds like a corker of a trip... pity about the little mishaps... we had a few arvos where the greenbacks were on 2 weeks ago.... they go soo hard... gotta love them. Great read.
    Cheers,
    JAckash

Graeme,

Mate sounds like you guys had a blast even with the boggings and another lost anchor and chain.

A bloke could get rich just selling you guys anchors

Trust Brett to get your missus pissed then have her spewing in the bin, I bet he is a 'sympathetic spewer' too, I reckon if you stayed out any longer he would have be barfing right beside her.

Can't wait to see the pics, the REAL ONES not those dodgie ones with the wrong dates on them.

Maybe we'll get the M&G going next week, see ya then.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

Graeme
    Good to see you guys had a good trip with a few fish thrown in to top it off.Look foward to seeing some pics.
    Will catch up at the next trip we try to do off the Goldie.
    Cheers Dazza

Hey Gawby nice report I hope its close to the truth I await with baited breath to see Bretts report
    cheers Terry
    Cheers Tezza

Terry,

I dont know what your boy is doing but i want to see the pics.
    Maybe he got lucky thismorning and sleeping in.
    And i tel the trutttttth. Maybe with a little enhancement.
    Graeme

nice work mate, great report

Sounds like a great trip Graeme. Nothing like an adventure or two to make the trip memorable!

Good to see you got some nice greenbacks, and the lack of weed is always good (I seem to pick the best times to go to fraser if you like weed)
    Cheers,
    Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila

Graeme,

Thanks for the timely report mate. Flying back to aus tomorrow, got a week in my timeshare up at Orchid beach starting 22nd. Hopefully the larger tides over the next few days will leave the weed high and dry, and the rain will hopefully settle the soft sand.

What was the gutter you were fishing at Waddy, the one that normally forms just down in front of the airstrip?

Cheers
    jeff

Jeff,
    We fished the gutter infront of the camp grounds towards waddy rocks. Arvo was the best time. You will see in the pics ,if brett ever posts them ,we were shoulder to shoulder. The gutter infront of the airstrip was holding weed most of the time.
    Tony, you arnt the only one to attract weed, one arvo one cast and put the rod away.
    Graeme

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks Graeme,
    Sholder to sholder isn't my idea of fun, but since 99% of the crowd usually packs up as soon as the hot bite stops just after sundown; my time to slip in quietly and lob the cut bait out for the big boys after dark. Had a great tailor session in that same spot about 3 years ago between 8 to 11pm. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Cheers
    Jeff

come on brett, show us your pics you pussy

had a good trip
    feed of fish
    made some burly

cheers pete

First have to thank Mum And Dad for watching the KIds and animals. THANKS

As Graeme said the fishing up there is something to amaze and if you have any chinks in your gear it'll be broken.

The rod i broke is the same outfit i use here to the banks and everywhere else as well. It's a 15-20kg overhead with an overhead reel loaded with 30lb braid and I had no hope with some of the brickings we got handed. Must add this rod is near new and all my gear is kept like new, so not due to neglect, will be taking it back for a new one Monday.

The boys that fish for Cruise Craft in all the comps where up there as well and some of the REds and Trout these guys had where amazing. One of the biggest Coral Trout i've ever seen, easily over the mtr and had to weigh well over 35lb. They are getting it mounted. We where listening to them on the radio and heard the ya-hoo's as they boated this fish and many more.

Tailor what a fish. As i was bringing in the first biggin it was leaping outta the water and i thought FRaser's Barra. Gezz those bigger fish go hard, some of the biggest tailor i've ever caught. Watched a young boy beach and monster, i estimated it to go a good 7lb and close to the mtr and he did a top job.

Those heading up with boats the gutters good at Waddy for launchin in. There were huge schools of fish just out past the rear bank and i thought maybe tailor, so they may stay for a little while longer.

The trip was a damm hoot had some great laughs and 4 days outside is gotta be good no matter where you are, but to get 4 days out up there; well ...........

Tony never had anything to due with her drunken condition . Never seen the M-in Law so drunken . Well the spewin in the bin bit haven't let her forget it yet and will not for a while. As for me spewing, i was, but only cause we had to go back in. Bloody drunken M-in- Laws.

Great trip and thanks to Graeme and Joanne for taking us along. Planning the next one already.

Brett
    It's FULLY SIC man

Weather was to rough
    It's FULLY SIC man