Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another learning curve - Moreton

bidkev

Another learning curve - Moreton

Left Shornecliffe 6am to a glass out and visiblity practically zero. Decided to pick my way out via the gps steering between the beacons heading for the x marker none of which I could see. Wrong! grounded! a few minutes coaxing and gingerly eased my way out to deeper water nearly hitting a beacon as I went. Either the beacons have moved........the banks have moved or the gps is out!

Headed for Comby point via gps, no visibility at all till I got to moreton. Decided to go for deep tempest....bit lumpy round the cape but ok until 20 minutes later. Decided to come back with a side swell a good 2 metres and capping. Nearly hit a whale on way back. One minute I'm watching the swell and sterring between, the next minute, there it is! Just surfaced about 20 metres in front of me. Cacked myself! ........OK Curtin it is then but first, some livies.

2 hrs at the 4 beacons without a livie to show for it. Plenty on the sounder but turned out to be swarms of stripey grunters. Off to Curtin. Put out 2 floaters (pilly and squid) and a bottom basher and got myself set for action. What the Ferk! No net or gaff! > They normally stay in the boat but for some reason they'd been removed. This was the one occasion that I hadn't used a checklist and this happens!

Straight away the pilly floater takes off. One cobia to the side going about 10 kilo but I lost it as I tried to gill it It was slack water and I reckoned I'd got no more than an hour before it quitened off being a big tide. The bottom rig was getting hammered by leatherjackets and they were even following it up so I decided to not waste bait and concentrate on the floaters. The next hour saw 4 small kingies under 50, one at 63 (kept) and another going again, about 10 kilo, lost trying to gill it. At least I can say I've caught a kingie...another one off the list

The moment the tide picked up it needed 18oz to hold bottom and the floaters were streaming on the surface so I decided to up pick and go and look for some macs. Lost the pick! Went around in circles for a good 5 minutes with the nose dipping and bobbing but in the end I decided to cut loose.

Plenty about but they weren't taking. I threw all shapes and sizes at 'em but they weren't having any. Saw one huge bait boil that must have gone half a k across.

Pottered around looking for future spots and decided to return to Curtin for slack water. Only a sand pick so I had to choose my spot carefully. Anchored on sand just North and let out rope till I was over structure. Put the bottom rig down and had an hour of small squire, 2 keepers at 39 and 46 and one lost at the side again which would have been my first true nobby

Decided to have an early night and fish the morning slack water at around 4.........didn't wake up! By now the tide was raging, little chance of holding bottom and very lumpy with wind against tide. Had enough and came home. It's hard work on yer own and I don''t think the deckie will be able to shift this new pick. perhaps she'll treat us to an electric winch

kev

bidkev

Re: Another learning curve - Moreton

This was on the camera from my last trip out. Sunrise over Moreton.

good one kev , well at least you brought home dinner
    hard yakka on yer own this anchor business gonna get me one of those ball floats

cheers
    jason
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by longtail
    <snip>

gonna get me one of those ball floats #

cheers
    jason
    Mine already do

So, where is the net and gaff now?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Show me the Snapper!

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by DaMaGe
    So, where is the net and gaff now?
    Just cleaned the rig and placed them in the cabin.........and there they'll stay till they're needed
    I've hid a smaller one (sawn off handle) in the locker just in case

kev

a

A good session off beef curtain though. I've had a few running battles with large cobes and kingi's following baits and catches, but they never seem to jump on anything I'm offerring.Good report kingo!

Hey Kev, what happen when you got to tempest, why did you come back?

Kev,

You must be dissapointed?
    No pesky grinners,catties and no shovelnoses.
    Youll go hungry mate.

MIKOS

Nice effort there kev considering the bad luck you had along the way........i'd be glad to deckie for ya anytime you need one.........
    keep up the great stuff and keep on learning cause you can never know enough...............

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    Hey Kev, what happen when you got to tempest, why did you come back?
    Rob, the seas were huge and capping. I nearly settled for Brennans but thought as the forecast was for winds to increase I better get out of there. It doesn't boost your confidence when you're the only one going out and you pass half a dozen coming back. I didn't see a single soul out there. Perhaps I'm just a wuss

It was weird 'cause it was as lumpy as hell at curtin and by the time I'd got to the 4 beacons it was glassed, then an hour later it was lumpy as hell again. Same this morning.

kev

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by MIKOS
    Kev,

You must be dissapointed?
    No pesky grinners,catties and no shovelnoses.
    Youll go hungry mate.

MIKOS
    Didn't think it needed a mention but I *did* get a big shovelly but couldn't boat it

kev

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by shut_up_and_fish
    Nice effort there kev considering the bad luck you had along the way........i'd be glad to deckie for ya anytime you need one.........
    keep up the great stuff and keep on learning cause you can never know enough...............
    True mate. Where you at? Most of my trips are mid week.

kev

Kev, They say when you stop learning your dead. May you learn for many years!

Kev,
    better luck next time. Good to se you havin a go.
    Getting that dame anchor up can scarey stuff. Brett was teaching me to run over the float and pick up the anchor. I was sh..ting ny pants when the nose kept digging in and the anchor wouldnt give way.
    Graeme