Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Coast and 45.5 cm Bream

Gold Coast and 45.5 cm Bream

Had a casual fish yesterday at the goldy not really trying anything special. Hit the beach and pulled up some thumping fat worms, some nearly as thick as my pinky. The beach looked terrific with some great looking gutters but the weather was absoultely miserable so headed up the river and found a nice looking spot. My mate fished with the worms while i flicked softies and it was a little slow but as the tide started to come in i nailed a nice little moses perch on a watermelon dropshot... dont they go hard. Then with little else happening and my mate getting a few bites i swapped over to worms. I managed a nice little whiting along with a nice little flatty and we started getting a few good bites around dusk. Then they suddenly went of the chew. Then just as it went dark my mate hooked up. It took off so i was yelling let it run.. so he lets go of the alvey all together leaving the reel spinning and having a nice pile of line at his feet. We somehow managed to get the line back on the reel without a tangle and somehow the fish stayed connected. Then it took off again so again i was yelling let it run..only to have another nice pile of line which yet again we somehow manage to untangle. By this stage i grabbed the rod and worked the fish away from a pilon in the water then returned it to the mate. There was a submerged rock ledge about 2 metres out covered in oysters which i thought we were going to have trouble with, so i told him when he gets it in close to keep his rod high and crank, but a few minutes later suddenly the fish was up against the bank and wed got it past the rock ledge. WEll when i saw it i was thinking what the hell is a snapper doing in the merang river eating beach worms... only to realise it was an absolute thumper of a bream. Got it in and it came out at 45.5 cm... an absolute ripper. hahah there was a lot of luck involved but it was great fun. Didnt weigh it but will post some pics, when my mate gets them. I reckon it went easy 2 - 2.5 lb. Nice little spot we found.... hahah i know what I'm going to be doing at schoolies. Bugger drinking and women and all that sh*t... fishing comes first!!!
    Cheers
    Jackash

Re: Gold Coast and 45.5 cm Bream

Nice catch, don't often come past to many bream that size any more.
    You may have found yourself a spot X, pity the plastics diddn;t work more for you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Show me the Snapper!

I hope this doesnt post again.. something went wrong. Yeah DaMaGE, i hope it is that spot X... and yeah i too wish more had happened with the softies... when i saw the bream the first thing i thought was why didnt that thing hit my dropshot.... oh well I'll be back soon to have another crack,
    Cheers
    Jackash

Far_Canal

Nice catch. The best we have landed in a night and consecutive casts in around 15mins were two thumpers 39 and 41cm.

45.5 is a good bream in anyones language . good job

My best Bream was only 44cm which was caught near wave break Island only 2 months ago..

I cannot wait to see your Picture (: Well Done

jackash

A milestone in your fishing life, you won't see many of that quality to often; it was a good yarn as well

Cheers
    Richo
    Regards

Richo

Good one Jackash

A good fish there mate cant wait to see the pics.

DaneCross

Great Bream mate. I'm not surprised the Alvey was spinning out of control

Quote Originally Posted by jackash
    i know what I'm going to be doing at schoolies. Bugger drinking and women and all that sh*t... fishing comes first!!!
    Cheers
    Jackash
    You can still fish when you are old.

bidkev

Beaut of a fish mate. You did well to get it in with the light, the obstacles 'n all. Well done.

kev

Thanks guys... really good fun. Will post the pics as soon as i get them.. gota get it off the mate's sister's boyfriend though so could take a while...
    cheers,
    JAckash

Hey,

On ya asho couldnt stop laughing when i first read it!! Cant wait to see the pics....bet phil was bloody pumped!!

FINCHO

YEah the lucky bugger jsut couldnt stop laughing... how the hell did it not bight me off, how the hell didnt we get a hgue tangle, how the hell didnt it get off when i let go of the reel, how the hell didnt it get us on those rocks.... he was loving it.
    Cheers

Thats an excellent bream in anyone's books and what a classic story!

Keen to find out what sorta of condition the bream was in mate. Is it an old nerang pontoon dwelling brute or one of those ocean dwelling bream that enter our estuaries? That could explain its 'fetish' for the worms and not the powerbait. Food for thought...

Regards
    CT