Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from Weipa

Lundy

Back from Weipa

Just had 12 days fishing in Weipa. The fishing was a little disappointing compared to other years but a good time was had by all.

The road was a experience by itself and the wind was a pain in the arse to be lure fishing in a 15 foot boat!

Here is a couple pics of the trip

Cheers
    Steve

Lundy

Re: Back from Weipa

on the water a dawn each morning

Lundy

720 barra. all barra released as the season closed on the 27th September

Only 720 this year tabs. Its alright mate, you can still hold your head up high.

Lundy

My biggest

Lundy

Finally caught this groper after being smoked by 2 larger models.

Lundy

425 Jack with black and gold shad rap.

Lundy

520 Black spot cod

Lundy

Deckie with dinner

Tabs,

Some nice fish there mate - keen to hear more on the condition of the road - i leave tomorrow afternoon to head up to Weipa/Mapoon myself - have you driven the road before?

Moffy

Lundy

some fish to bring home

Tabs - great catch, that. I love going fishing there and I'm looking forward to a return visit in June.

MOFFY! Keep off the turps this time and beware of the Caravan Park Gestapo!

Lundy

Moffy, I sent you a PM.

It was my first time on the road and I thought it was bad, but the other guys who had been before said it was the best they had seen it. Coming home took us 9:15 from Weipa to lakelands with a couple of quick stops and a Burger at the Hann River Roadhouse.
    Damage done was one set of tail lights goooone couple of dinged rims plenty of stone chips and rub marks and all rollers and skids will have to be realigned.
    Otherwise it wasn't to bad. Well worth the experience.

Put in 58 tags for 10 days so the fishing wasn't hot.
    What do you intend to fish for?

Cheers
    Steve

great stuff tabs.........those fingermark are beautiful eating arent they.....i rate them as probably the best i have ever eaten up there with jacks and trout and they are not bad fighters either.

will be up in cairns end feb for the first time in 4 years and cant wait to tackle the fishing up there again.

again top stuff mate

les

Wyoming - going to Mapoon this time - alcohol restrictions so we'll be behaving. Should be unreal fishing though.

Steve, PMed you back - going to Mapoon rather than Weipa itself. Hoping to get a lot of salmon, jacks, fingermark, grunter etc - whatever's biting - any barra bycatch on lures (season's closed) will be good, but we will be releasing most fish anyway (but will bring home a few for a feed)

Am wanting to do a lot of luring and should have a ball - there's a little rubble patch not far from camp that i'm going to give a good going over with the soft plastics and hopefully nail some assorted reefies off it

going to finally bring the fly rod out too - so will see how we go there - will probably do a run up to the skardon river flats for this.

also intend to head offshore as much as we can - see what we can't raise out around Kerr Reef etc - Daintreeboy's brother kept getting spooled last time they trolled out there - so we're taking the big gear to try and get a look at them.

guess we'll see how the road is once we hit it - we usually do 10-11 hours cairns to weipa (not towing though)

Moffy