Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cairns Flat Seas

Cairns Flat Seas

I had an chance to get out for a fish yesterday, due to time constraints we left early 3:20 am and headed out to one of my Red spots as I've never fished it during daylight hours and I was keen to give it a go.
    We arived 5:00am 57ks out and the sun was already on the way up, first drop saw me get smashed and spat out while Dave my mate pulled a beautiful bright red Trout out of 68mtr. of water. The anchor failed to hook so we pulled lines as we motored back a large show of fish appeared and we did a drift through with the sea anchor out this resulted in a nice little 57cm Red emperor for me and a solid large Mouth for Dave.
    We continued to fish this area till 9:30 am and caught a mixture of Emperor Nannies Motherinlaws Chinamen and all sots of other critters. I dropped a Jig down for a while which resulted in a couple of Trevally, then lost it to some unseen monster.
    from here we moved to Finn reef for a troll and managed to drop a nice mackerel right beside the boat.
    As we had to leave by 12:30 I moved in behind Arlington reef to a Trout spot we anchored up and threw a few prawn heads in for burley I said to Dave throw your handline in there and you will catch a Trout yeah right! was his reply. The water here was only 5mtr. deep Dave threw the line in and as he went to grab his hat the reel started to bounce all over the deck, he grabed it and lifted a nice plump trout into the boat.
    I decided to go for a swim and see what was below as I entered the water directly below the boat were 3 nice Trout just waiting for the next offering. As I looked around the Trout were everywhere, I returned to the boat to grab my speargun and Dave held up his second Trout.
    The first fish I shot the spear passed right through and it managed to swim into a cave with the spear line attached to it what happened next was both amazing to watch and pretty scary at the same time. Two Sharks around 5 ft turned up disapeared into the cave and proceeded to fight each other over the Trout. Eventually one shark left the scene and all went quite, then my gun starts to move off and as much as I hated the idea I had to go and have a look as I looked around the corner the shark swam out with only the tip of the Trouts tail protruding and my spear line down it's neck I grabed the line and handed it to Dave in the boat he then had a wrestling match until the shark gave up and spat a very sad totally scaled but intact fish out.
    Dave managed another fish on the line and I shot 5 before the Sharks drove me out of the water due to their bad behaviour.
    We pulled anchor and headed home in perfect conditions and even managed to pick up a camera in a waterproof housing floating in the ocean 12ks offshore on the way in. What a magic day with heaps of variety I loved it that much I'm going to do it all again at Kurrumine beach this weekend.
    Andrew.

Re: Cairns Flat Seas

I give up on photos to hard!

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

good stuff Andrew, you can keep those sharks to yourself!

cheers,

steve

Sounds like a great trip mate! All these cairns reports are getting me excited! I`m towing my boat up Friday afternoon for a weekend of fishing The wether looks like its going to play the game so should be a great weekend.
    Cheers Nathan

Mate awesome report makes me count the days till sat nite. Cant wait for some reds and other monsters!!

Keep em comn Cairns !!

Shane

Nice effort Andrew!

I am guessing the spearing would of been difficult if sharks were already tearing apart your first fish for the day.

I must commend your effort to keep diving by yourself in competition with the pesky reef sharks, well done mate. Most of my mates would be walking on water to leave a spot with aggressive 5 footers.

As for the water proof camera and housing, are there any scuba divers that have gone missing in the past few days?

Good luck at Kurrumine.

Mick

Man, the water up is awsome atm!!!! Absolute glass out today

Damn tours and hire cars getting in the way of fishing [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

You'll all have a ball..... NO DOUBT!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Mick It was hard work alright had to get the fish off and in the boat quick time. I'm no daredevil when it comes to sharks 4 turned up in the end and you had to have eyes in the back of your head to keep track of them all so I took the safe option and left some nice Trout there and got out.
    Andrew.

Dave and his red trout.

Nice trout there , gotto get back into some of that action soon >

Shark tucker.

Esky getting filled

Dave looking pretty pleased

Nice FAT trout

Cyclone,

Interested in that downrigger/reel setup shown in some of the photos.

Any chance of some close up shots?

top fish BTW.

Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM