Thread: Coomera River Bream & Jack 23/10

Coomera River Bream & Jack 23/10

Hi All,

Went for a quick solo session this morning, with the target being bream. Hit the ramp at the M1 at 5.00am and headed up towards Sea Eagle Lagoon. About 5th cast saw my biggest Gold Coast Jack and hopefully the first of a few this season, in the net. It was caught on a 3" Berkley Fry in Watermelon on 4lb Fireline and 6lb Vanish leader in about 1 1/2 metres of water, which was around 24 degrees.The jack went 34cm to the fork and was released. I was wrapped when I first saw it and then until it was in the net was praying for the leader to hold .

Continued hitting the Lagoon for a couple of rat flatties and no bream > > so decided to try for some down at the new River Links canals, ended up with 9 but only 2 were legal. All caught on the Fry and 2" Gulp Minnow Grubs in Pumkinseed.

Headed back to the ramp around 11.30am very happy and now even more determined to get a legal Jack this season.

Cheers

John

Re: Coomera River Bream & Jack 23/10

Thats a great little ses and a nice little jack... hopefully i can pull a few out of the goldy this christmas.
    Cheers
    JAckash

sweet little jack JT

Great fun on thqt light gear I bet!

nice little jack there, would have given you some stick on light line.

on another note

mate was fishing the logan\pin area and said that afterwards some bloke approached him with a 36cm jack. He then proceded to ask whats the legal size of a jack?

I said to my mate if he doesnt know then why take it. this must happen a lot in this state. Im starting to wonder whether people should take a written test in order to get a rec fishing licence so that dumb asses and no brainers don't do silly things like that.

Someone said in another post that they release all jack they catch. I think that is a novel idea. At least someone else will have the chance to catch it.

andrew

great little jack there sir! woulda given you some stick on that light gear, thats for sure!

youngfisho,

yeah mate i concur! we were flickn in the burnett river coupla years ago and these idiots asked us the same thing, only the jack was 31cm and well n truly dead! i coulda bricked em! i revere these fish and release all. i dont expext others to do the same, but i think smaller bag limits should apply. down here anyway. it'd be great to get em so populous that everyone gets a crack at em!
    cheers,

cuzza

It was a lot of fun on the light gear, I first called it for a trevally, then for a big bream, nice surprise though to see that bronze colour in the water. I think I was lucky though, no snags close by.

Andrew & Cuzza - I have to agree, even though I haven't caught many Jacks, I'll be releasing all mine (gee I hope there are more ). Just a personal choice, they are too much fun to only catch once. I have never eaten Jack but believe they are pretty good on the plate and don't hold it against those who like to keep a feed.
    [smiley=chef.gif]

With regard to a bag limit, not too sure about that, do that many really get caught in one session down here? In the Gulf where they are in high numbers they have a limit of 5, I guess that would be a good figure.

As far as having to ask about a size limit on a fish allready dead, these people sh$t me, I have caught many fish before when I haven't been sure of the size limit, every one has been released and when I get home I make a point of checking the size limit from the DPI site. Good rule would be when in doubt release it. Just because you have caught it doesn't give you the right to keep it, (Don't get me started on that > >) and ignorance is not an excuse.

Cheers

John

Hi JT,

Great stuff mate, hope its the first of many this summer.

Cheers
    Matty

You've inspired me to have another go at them. Looks like i'll be down there on friday night having another go. didn't do too well last summer and am keen as to land one.

Hey JT,

great effort with the 6lb vanish mate i wouldnt be too confident if i was connected to a jack with 6lb for trace Anyway must have been pumped heading out to get into the breambos and getting a jack like that and then still some bream AWESOME stuff and great pics,

FINCHO