Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another PB Mud Snapper

Re: Another PB Mud Snapper

Great work Graham ! I thought you migt have been out there fishing those tides. Catch up soon.
    Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

That's freakin awsome!! all on plastics unreal, can't wait to get amongst that sort of fish, but at the end of the day i'm happy with a legal snapper

That's a nice fish mate.

Well Done.

Louis

Finding Time,

Do you know foggys secret with the tides? Prepare to share LOL.

Foggy,

We hunted out there yesterday. Read the report and left straight away. Did not stay long due to the northerly wind that got up. Managed 5 keepers in 2 hours with the biggest being 56cm. Also lost two big fish due to cheap reels with crappy drags. What reel should I buy?

Snap

Snap - No arguement - you need to buy a Daiwa 2500 Advantage. Absolutely awesome drag on it.

I,ve got a stradic. Can not fault it. But the advantage is a nice reel. Had a play with wyomings last friday.

how big is the stradic that you are stopping those fish with?

I've got a 2500 - would it do the trick?

Robsee,
    The 2500 will pull them up. U may just have to chase a bit of line with the boat. The first run is incredible. I use 10lb fireline and that has also accounted for a 13 kilo jew. Great fun.

Foggy, how do you find the stradic after a few years of use, is the drag still up to the task? i have a daiwa caprice and the drag seems to be nowhere near wat it used to be , i have a feeling its because i used the reel to catch spotties all last season with 14pd braid on it. I wish they made a 4000 stradic with a larger spool and high retrieve

p.s . top fish from mud, i dunno how u blokes do it, i've been there many a time with plastics and caught nuthing but undersize and flathead

Jas

JB,
    Only had the stradic for about 6 months. I always loosen the drag of when storing so hopefully that extends its life. The reel has counted for some pretty big fish so far and has come up trumps every time. I am curently running about 1.6kilos of drag. I noticed you asked about the plastics getting choped by grinners in another post. Last weekend, i only used 4 plastics for the day. Lost 2 to fish and wear and tear on the other two. Never had a real problem with grinners. Usually only get one or two per trip. Don't think i have ever caught more than 3. I find if the plastic sits on the bottom for any length of time you will get grinners. I only let the plastic just reach the bottom and then lift it off about 1 to 2 metres, depending on current. The faster the drift the lower the lift. My best fish always hit as the plastic is desending back to the bottom. Jig head weight playd an important part also. Takes a bit to get it right. I have changed up to 5 or 6 times in 15 minutes before i got it right. But persistance pays off. Give me a yell next time your heading out there and I will meet you out there if I can and we will try to get you sorted.

Foggy

Gidday guys,

I am thinking if I had a nice reel with worn out drag washers, it is easy enough to have them replaced with the good stuff. Duncan at Fish Head advertised it in his last PDF emailed to me, and I know Johnno at Captain Bligh's will sort that out too. I also find that bearings start growling after a few years, and particularly if your bail arm line bearing is seized ( stands to reason, it will get wet every fishing trip) you should get that replaced. If this little buggar isn't rolling, it will put a heap of friction on your line. Go to http://www.minibearings.com.au/default.html as these guys are in Mansfield and most likely have the bearings for you. I myself recently bought a Penn Applause, and I am very impressed with the quality of the outfit for little expense - and great drag!!

Scalem