Thread: Maroochy River Jacks

Reidy

Maroochy River Jacks

Hey Ausfishers

Whats the news on the Maroochy River Has any one got any reports from there, My only report is that I picked up one 55cm Jack after 300+ casts, is there any better spots around sunny coast, sorry theres no pic but had a barney with the missus hooked the boat up and stormed out and forgot the camera. I am now hooked on the pulling power of the Jacks so any info on locations will be appreciated.

Cheers Tropical Trout

Re: Maroochy River Jacks

I always thought the Noosa River was better for Jacks but the upper mangrove-lined reaches of the Maroochy River can produce the goods also.
    Tell us TT ... what did you get him on? HB or SP? Released or in the esky?

Cheers,
    Herby

howd you manage to keep count of the 300 casts? good stuff tropical trout 55cm jack is a good.

not sure where to chase the jacks only ever caught 1.

BTW i got mine after 299 casts

Cheers Phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

thats a bloody ripper of a jack from the maroochy. from what i have heard/seen there is a fair concentration of jacks in the maroochy but i think they are wide spread. any of the creeks (coolum,petrie,eudlo) hold them. right place at the right time i think. be interested to know which one he was in.

Thats a great fish.... and I'd take a jack every 300 casts any day!!!
    Cheers
    Jackash

Reidy

Thanks guys it was in the coolum creek, I did release him and he was on a hard body lure (a stump jumper) year i spose it may have been 300 give or take a few phil but the result was defernatly worth the effort, also I think you are right Herbie the Noosa river is better from talking to a few of the tackle shop guys on the coast, might put another few hundred cast up there.

Anything to feel that hit again they are certainly one of the best river sport fish in Australia.

Cheers guys Tropical Trout

Hey Tropical Trout, Nice work with the Jack, some spots 2 check out Eudlo & Petrie creeks & Currumundi lake can be good. The fish arnt big however they are still jacks.
    If you like jack fishing, book a holiday to Bendoroda in PNG. The Black Bass there will pull your arms off! Check out the artical in this months Fishing World by David Green. The big fish in these rivers have been 2 much 4 us on 50lb braid & 80lb mono strait through, its just incredible.
    Its worth every cent!
    Cheers Toppy