Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mud Island Attempt, Foiled by TRAWLERS!!!

Re: Mud Island Attempt, Foiled by TRAWLERS!!!

Borrow a few rolls of razor wire from a mate who works at a correctional centre. That outa do it!!

The trawlers are only part of the problem... Between them & Cheech out there catching all the good fish, there's nothing left for anyone else!!!

I'm with banshee, and again from my first post, if someone can show me how an otter trawler can fish reef, spoil ground (expo dump), and 10 foot furrows left behind by dredges i'll stand corrected, but I believe you'll find they are prawning outside the area targetted for squire/snapper. As for the smart remarks about causing damage to pro boats - any one I've worked on has enough armourment to defend a small country, and trawler skipper's have a reputation to keep so don't make enemies of them on the water unless you are happy to lose more than an argument. Pros have a place in society, fish farms readily breed new diseases which could easily wipe out more than the pros ever could and aren't the answer everyone wishes they were - yet, and 'buying' the industry out of existence will only end up in deregulated shamateurism because aussies love fresh fish, but not as much as the japs. Don't kid yourselves - we get the leftovers - and the industry won't be bought out for a $20.00 license. I agree it should be better regulated, but pulling yourself and wishing they'll all just disappear is fantasy and a waste of web space. There's a lot of smart people read this site - perhaps some constructive ideas would help the cause guys??
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Roz I think aquaculture is definately the way to go,a couple of years ago I had a look around the Jacobs Well prawn farm,this one farm was no where near maximum production but still producing as much as half the trawler fleet per anum,his biggest problem was a lack of local market,because the local market was controled by co-op's(commercial fishermen) nearly all of his product was exported to Hawaii.I know a lot is said about aquaculture being bad for the environment but how much better are the alternatives? This bloke complied with all regulations and still produced what I thought was a great product,all his waste was pumped into holding pans that evaporated off and there was also what appeared to be a mote between him and the adjoining waterway.I was prety impressed with the whole set up.

yeh mate they are still there today. i only saw one of them on the southern side anchored out of the wind.