Thread: Bay doggies 9 Nov

Bay doggies 9 Nov

Left Scarby boat harbour at 4am with the weather looking ok. Headed to Four Beacons, and about halfway the skies opened up and it was about that time I realised I had taken the raincoats out of the boat for washing which made for an unpleasant trip and two wet and grumpy little fishermen!! The weather was a bit sloppy but workable and once we had a few livies we headed north to fish the beacons. On the third beacon for the day, one of the livies was engulfed which resulted in a 9kg cobe which was promptly knocked on the head and put on ice. We tried for another couple of hours on the beacons for not very much result ( wind and tide conditions were not co operative) so decided to kill some time and troll a few lures in the shipping channel. Turned out that the doggies were around and we managed 14 in the next couple of hours. Decided to pull the pin at around 11am and had a nice run home with the nor easter back to the ramp. Final tally- 14 doggies, 1 cobe and a couple of big mack tuna that will be reappearing in the crab pots some time soon. Sorry guys, no photos as forgot the camera as well and cleaned the fish at the ramp, will try to work out how to get the photos off the mobile though, if I am smart enough to do it, I'll post em........ Cheers

Re: Bay doggies 9 Nov

Welcome and well done. Beats working. Cheers. Mike.

DaneCross

Good stuff Shane. Just as a matter of interest, what lures were you trolling?

Ausfish Silver Member

Sounded a great day-tops-Have got to ask the same question as DC?There were some doggies down the bottom of Bribie passage(I think its an area called the blinker) last week but couldnt get much size to them.

best regards,
    lew

We were trolling Halco 160's in blue and home made skirts. All caught fish but the Halcos won on the day..... I was surprised as I have never really caught doggies on the troll with lures that size but as trolling wasnt really on the cards, thats all I had in the boat. A guy at the ramp was telling me about the doggies around the blinker, apparently there were some keepers in them earlier in the week. Cheers....

Can someone tell me what kind of fish is a 'Doggie'?

What sorta of trace were you trolling with? Wire or no wire?

mackerel

No wire mate on the Halcos, just a mainline to an 80lb trace, had no troubles with bite offs at all. Had wire on the skirts only because they were pretty small.

Ausfish Silver Member

Oh no another lure to had to the tackle box -Thanks Shane for that info- appreciated