Thread: catching schoolies on scarborough reef

LET_IT_RIP

catching schoolies on scarborough reef

Hi guys .Slipped out to scarborough reef sat arvo got onto some schoolies.Not being an expert i was useing gangies and whole pilchards. The point i'm trying to ask is icaught 2 and lost another big one but didn't catch any in the mouth is that because of the ferocity that they attack the bait?????????

cheers graham

Re:  catching schoolies on scarborough reef

Where did you hook them? Best practice is to fish pilchards on a set of gang hooks with no wire trace and have the reel set to strike drag ie 1/3 of the b/s of the line. If you were using a wire trace and letting the mackerel take line before you set the hook you might have hooked them deeper. It is just that using wire usually results in less or no bites.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

A twisted double of your leader could help without having to go to wire trace. I do it with my 8lb sometimes if the tailor or whatever busts me off.

LET_IT_RIP

jeremy i was useing 8 ib braid with a 30ib mono leader.Caught them in back and side of head.They hit hard and i sunk it the line line held well till it got around my motor.

thanks graham

blue-mako

velocity do u mean??