Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beach Bliss

Beach Bliss

Have had some fun off the beach lately at Rainbow and Teewah. Bait schools were inshore with pelagics feeding heavily within casting range for spinners.

Wednesday before Easter school hols - Teewah - 1 longtail (10kg)

Thursday - Red Canyon - 2 mac tuna
    - 2 spotties

Friday - Rainbow - 3 longtails (7-8kg)
    - 4 queenies (3 - 4kg)
    - approx 10 spotties (70 - 90cm)
    - approx 10 macs (3 - 5kg)

Saturday - Rainbow - 1 longtail (8kg)
    - approx 15 spotties
    - approx 25 tailor

Sunday - Rainbow - 1 spanish mackerel
    - approx 40 tailor

The swell and a 20 knot soueaster picked up on the Sunday night allowing for a much needed sleep in on Monday.
    Lost a fair few fish to spaniards but had all sorts getting strikes from them on the lure. Went through plenty of slugs as using 4kg mono with 6 meteres of 9kg mono leader and wire or heavy mono trace. Most fish caught on 40 or 45 gram sliders and a few on 'Prickly Petes' 40 gram slug. Not sure if they are still called that since Pete passed away but his legacy lives on.
    Have been trying to attach photos without success, but will persist and post when sorted.

Re: Beach Bliss

That's an amazing haul for being land based - a dream run!!!

Sounds like you'll be eating fish for a long time.....well done

Great work, I'll be heading up there on Friday for 4 days so lets hope they are still feeding in close.

Regards,

Richo

Craigus

That's an unbelievable catch from the surf! . . . . Well done!
    Bet you would have needed a rest after catching all those fish.

what a top weekend all I ever catch up that way is a hang over.cheers
    THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

Kept only the spaniard, 1 longtail that wouldn't revive and 2 spotties. The rest were released largely due to the fact that when chasing these schools you tend to end up a long way from the vehicle and to walk away from boiling pelagics is something I'm not very good at.
    Richo, i'd say that you are a chance of finding some action there on the weekend. The swell is right up at the moment and as it calms and the soueaster drops with the moon on Friday, all is as it should be. Won't see you there though as will be amongst the reds and trout off 1770 (weather permitting) for 10 days from Friday. Received May edition of QFM today which has a photo of the 10kg longtail on pg 24 with my report from march for Teewah Beach.

Get the odd stray pelagic from the surf but five days in a row and in such numbers is incredible. There must have been some monster bait schools in close to keep all those toothy guys interested for so long. Great job.

There has been a lot of bait on Teewah Beach and it has been an excellent spotty season on the close in reefs and off the beach. Tailor have been in good nos with a lot of 3 - 4kg fish particularly at the river mouth with stream rises. GT schools were smashing froggies in the surf south of Teewah and at the river mouth for a few weeks with tailor and spotties. Mac and yellowfin tuna have been pretty constant in Laguna Bay and the longtails arrived more recently. Cyclones and lows always seem to trigger things as it calms, so with Wati doing a job there, it was a case of watching and waiting. Just didn't expect it on that moon phase. The spaniards at Rainbow were herding fish as a school of 30 - 40 fish with their dorsals out of the water 20 metres out near the Leisha Track when we first saw them and they stayed in range for a while but the bait was bigger than any lure we could cast. Didn't have any 800 gram slugs in the box anyway. Had probably 25 - 30 good retrievals through feeding longtails and hooked up on the majority of those but sometimes to other species. Conditions were very glassy and bait was easy to see, so spinning through the bait was productive for mainly queenies and tailor. Tailor were often boiling at Middle Rocks and it reached a stage where if you couldn't see the school then you wouldn't cast because it would only be a few seconds before they would be visible feeding again.The tuna and spotties didn't stop feeding for about 3 hours on the friday and were always within range for that period. Just couldn't understand why cars with rods on would stop to watch for a minute but then keep driving. Not one other person stopped to fish amongst it on any day that I was there. Not that I really minded, it just highlights the reason I guess why 10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish. Maybe they don't like getting wet, but it was pretty comfortable and nothing over waste depth.

good on ya slider thats the stuff they seems to be every where now

cheers

george
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Freaking awesome... they are the trips you dream off... pelgaics out of a boat are awesome fun and beach fishing is the best type.... combine the two.. and WOOOHOOOO hold on!!!!

Awesome stuff!!
    What sort of gear (rod/reel) were you using Slider?

Chisel

FSU 4144 - 12 foot of nothing special.

Shimano TSS4 - excellent surf spinning reel and easy maintenance. Shame they're not making them any more.

Slider

The shear size of these fish must have made it really fun in the surf - I'm very jealous.

Slient

Wow... I understand this is why a good expert fisherman being patience and peels skin off eyes look out for fish behaviors at the surf. Then you get pay it off...

Well done

Silent

PS love to see pic soon if you get post successful.