Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beach Bliss

Re: Beach Bliss

No weed - beautiful clear blue water. Should be Oct/Nov before weed arrives at Fraser this year. With any luck.
    Oh and trout photos - never took any photos of the fish.
    Weipa footage - was taped over accidentally by someone who thought the new footage would be more valuable than what it was replacing. And I don't regret that given what it was. Don't tell Deb!

Hey shutup,

What were you using for bait ?

Did you manage to eyeball any of the toothy critters?

Jus

Weird species so had a good look. Thank christ I wasn't hooked up for long though.

would this be footage of what we observed with you last year driving down the beach near massos?

i will have to look through the photos as i think we may have some pics of the Coral Trout.

But then again do you think it would be wise to bring Deb up to FI - i don't think she could put up with mumbles or DAves boyfriend !!

Jus

Slider,

Have night shift tonight - DEb had it last night - my toohless critter is becoming a toothy critter...

If i don't speak to you have a good trip and i will speak to you when you arre back...

Let me know if you can get the house and Byron and want to go for a trip... i am sure i will be in !!!

Jus

Hi slider,
    if you're thinking of heading down to Byron try the river behind Bilongil Beach. Tied the knot on the beach in November and stayed there for a while too. Using flouro orange plastics in the river on 10lb mono leader onto 8lb Spiderwire, Ugly Stick loaded with Abu Cardinal (old red!). Had a heap (12-14) flatties - not sure if dusky or otherwise- on my first afternoon. Overcast with rain threatening the following day and not a bite resulted in me going over to the beach side.
    About 100m to the left of the path onto the beach is a eugarie patch. Baiting up with fresh pipi's (as they call them) resulted in a 40cm whiting on the first cast!
    Then the missus came over and dragged me off to get dressed and get married.
    Quite literally!!

Gorilla_in_Manila

Jim,
    If you are heading back down Byron way remember the marine park comes into effect on 1 May. No more fishing in Belongil creek or at the beach near the mouth.
    Not that I'd be eating anything out of the creek; the sewerage plant empties into it for the last 15 years or so. [smiley=sick2.gif]
    Cheers
    jeff

Jus,

yeah mate, i was using whole live mullet down at the mouth around the 6-10inch mark and didnt get a chance to eyeball any of these..........all up probably dropped about 6 fish over a period of 3-4 trips.....couple just bumped it and bit straight through - others had some good runs but eventually bit through.........i know of one guy getting some bullies down around that way........could have been various fish/species........have got flathead, tailor, trevors, shovels down there using same technique so your guess is as good as mine??? have also managed to nail an almost keeper size squire down there................managed to land about 1/2 doz small black tips (i think) over calm side about 1-2ft long on hardi heads and a white spotted shovel?? in surf about 4-5ft long...........

Nice work mate, one of the pics your lure looks like a UFO!!!

Great Effort

Cheers for the heads-up matey!
    I have n't been back for a while. Going to have to try another spot or two. Hoping to do a weekend trip to Straddie or maybe even Fraser. (I've heard that Dart are coming in thick and strong along the gold Coast....)

talking to some of the boys up the beach this morn, seems like some nice tailor getting around, gonna need dome more lures linds, lost a few to the big ones last time...............

Yeah g'day Stu. That would have been around when this post originated from that you were getting busted by mackerel I assume.
    Trying to knock some slugs up at the moment but striking a couple of snags that I'll find out shortly if I've overcome. What sizes do you want?

Gday Lindsay - i hear from reliable source that they are getting some extra large dart over the 1kg and some big bust offs on bonito at mudjimba after dark - possibly some big 8lb plus tailor?? heading up to bowen the weekend 9th June back Monday if interested?? am driving up - flying back. if not - i am itching for a hit in the surf again - havent been in over 3weeks and wont for another 4...........

talk soon
    Les

Les I would be interested as gets hard here at this time of year as we have discussed, so net free beaches are the target. Is Mudjimba a net free beach? Seem to recall that they had a very poor season there mullet wise last year. Let me know when you're back. Leave a few fish around Gloucester hey mate.

Linds

yeah - mate sure to be plenty of fish left up that way for you - maybe not many rums/beers left though.......i believe mudjimba is net free??? have never heard of or seen anyone netting there - i would think that the maroochy system would not be a large enough system?? not quite sure how the mullet work..........i do know that a lot of people do throw the slugs at the mouth though - will be sure and give you a call/message when i am back

Les