Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beach Bliss

Re: Beach Bliss

top stuff........

my mate and his oldies were up there that same week..........driving old blue short wheel based nissan.......first time he ever spun in the surf and he nailed something like 40 fish all up........got tuna, 20odd tailor, 3 gt's, dart, tarwhine(bait), whiting (bait)........then i arrived on the sat morn and only got 1 tailor, i shovel and half doz small sharks on calm side.......weather turned ordinary on sunday........you get most of them on rainbow side?

Yeah, I ran into them in front of Teewah on the Friday afternoon. They'd been down to Tewantin for slugs. At that stage they only had a couple of fish but sounds like they did ok over the weekend.
    Just about all the fish were taken from Rainbow with the first 1km from the Leisha Track producing all the tuna, the spaniard, half the spotties and the better queenies. Middle Rocks had all the tailor and the other half of the spotties. The spaniards were hitting hooked fish at both locations.
    Buggered if I know why I can't post the pics but will keep trying.

Slider

yeah they said they got a few slugs off you i believe........were you up fishing off the rocks there at all? thinking about heading up the beach maybe sunday/monday? do you know what its been like up there this week? always a bit wary of travelling on rainbow side due to lack of beach and photos from past. the track you are talking about - is that the one from ocean to calm?

Yep, the one just north of the Cherry Benture.
    Has been a lot of swell here this week and a bit of erosion. Towed a Landrover on a full tide from 3rd cut to Teewah on Tuesday afternoon with waves coming over the bonnet. Rainbow was similar but was so calm it was OK if you don't mind driving through wheel depth water and a lot of anti corrosion maintenance which is weekly here anyway.
    D.I. should be pretty good and I've been waiting for the swell to drop to get out on the rocks. Should be some good trevors hanging there.

sounds a bit dicey - i guess you just have to use your brains and pick your time of travel.......will have to catch up for a fish sometime........i drive a red pajero wagon..............can you get right over to the calm side of the point walking? what do you reckon about using 30lb braid on penn 8500 in the surf for spinning?

Thats sounds like fun to me! Hows the back going after that effort??

Would love to see the pics

You can only drive for about 100 m towards the point from Leisha Track on the calm side so is a long and pretty ordinary walk from there. I usually walk over from southern side of the headland past the shacks and lighthouse.
    Just had a look down the beach and the swell is dropping and so is south easter so travel will improve. Rainbow always fishes best when there is no or little traffic so the high tide is when you need to be there. Bit of a catch 22. There is nobody coming south from Rainbow township at the moment because Carlo Rocks are impassable meaning less than normal traffic.
    Have used 30lb braid a bit in this situation and found it a bit heavy for casting compared with 4kg mono. Of course lighter poundage braid will solve that prob. Have never really liked braid for surf spinning because of the lack of cushion at strikes and when playing the fish. Fish can be erratic in the surf with wave motion etc and I find the rod tip bounces around a bit too much causing a loss of control. Mono leaders can assist here but you've then got a braid to mono knot which takes me out of my comfort zone. In saying that I think the 30lb braid would be quite good off the rocks with GT's and yellowtail king upwards of 20lb potential hook ups and distance on the cast not so much of an issue. The Penn should be ideal for quick retrievals. Try stopping the lure mid retrieve for a second or 2 especially off the rocks. Sometimes the only way to get strikes.
    And yeah Shut Up I live at Teewah so am here most of the time so Let me know when you're heading this way.

Slider

thanks for that slider..........will definately let you know when i am heading up next (hoping sunday/monday pending missus) have fished the beach a fair bit of my life but never targeted with slugs or the rocks/rainbow.......always a bream, dart, tailor man.........but love the challenge of slugs in surf now......... will pm if travelling up

thanks again

The one and only spaniard

Don't know

i had troubles at first and realised that the pics were over 100mb and sometimes i didnt attach them properly????

Spaniard

got it.........nice looking although pic came out a bit small........but at least its there....nice effort.........

Hopefully a better size pic

yeah nice..........have you got many more since that bumper week? do you fish for much else up that way? like jewies?