Thread: Free jumping shark

Free jumping shark

Took the missus up to the pin yesterday arvo to see what its like. It seems an amazing spot. The water was absolutely screaming through and I think the tide had just begun to come in. We got a couple of small flatties on our favourite plastics but also had success with some pink colours that we only got out as I heard they are the gun colour during the flattie classic up that way.

One cool thing we saw when we first got there was bait schools showering out of the water. They appeared to be really large herring but with the sun behind us they lit up this amazing metallic silver colour, almost glowing. So we were a bit slack jawed at that. Didn't have any spinning gear with us so didn't bother chucking into them to see what was hounding em up.

Anyway just before we packed it in I saw, and my wife heard, a three to four foot shark jump from the water. It did a bit of a barrel roll like those spinner dolphins I've seen on telly. So I got a good look at it and it was a shark, definately. Has anybody seen this before? I was a bit blown away by this. My wife had just finished telling me that one of her japanese mates had told her it was a pretty sharky spot then SPLASH!

Not a good fishing day but great to explore somewhere I don't usually fish and just to see mother nature doing it's stuff. Better than sitting at home playing video games anyway.

Oh yeah, this post was typed in the back yard, having a stubby and getting a haircut. Love my wireless lappy!

Re: Free jumping shark

G'day
    In regards to the shark yes, i have seen it before. Scared the hell outa me as it happened pretty close. It was a bullie about 3-4' long. This was a coupla years ago up towards the mouth of coochin ck. They do then when chasing bait, was also seen jumping in amongst the mangroves a bit further away aswell.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

seen it a few times up north too. Good to watch. Not sure what kind they normally are up here, some kind of whaler i'd be assuming.
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

G'day Mooks!!
    We see that quite a lot around the headland at 1770. Often get some quite large whalers jumping as they hurl thru the bait schools. Quite amazing to see a whaler about 8ft or so throw its whole body into the air!! I've had them leap as they hit a pillie under a float a few times too. A year or so back we were fishing around the mouth of the estuary and hooking what I think is a type of cat shark, known as a white eye shark. They look like a little black tip reef shark. Every time we hooked one they would do about 3-4 jumps in the air trying to throw the hook, ya could have been forgiven for thinking you had a barra on the line LOL

Regards, Tony

writing this post

now you made me thirsty
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

i've seen sharks do it twice. Once in innisfail i saw abull shark maybe 4 feet come out of the water doing a pirouette, very spectacular indeed.and i've also seen a small shark ( didn't identify the species) at the top of lake cootharaba. One of the great things about fishing, seeing stuff like that

mate, That little black number your wearing does nothing for you, just like the plastics try a little pink

lovely hair cut Mooks

Jim_Byrne

Seen a few smaller bullies jumping at mullet in the southern canals at the Goldie, whilst late night jigging for bream,

but,

never seen a bloke with a stubby and laptop in hand getting a haircut in the back yard whilst typing a post for Ausfish!

Your highly skilled themooks!

whats with the """"herb"""" garden mooks???????

i dont see any empty pizza boxes laying around
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

The haircut was only half way through when that pic was taken. #I look stunning now!

Unfortunately chief, #black is the only colour that little number comes in. #I asked for a camo one but that's all she had.

The 'herb' garden is completely legit choppa. #The one inside under the lights however......

Far_Canal

happens in our coomera canals all the time, little bullies jumping, sometimes almost verticle. I was sittin on the side of my tinnie moored upto the pontoon one day havin a beer and one bastard jumped about 6 feet out from the boat i nearly assed up into the drink i couldnt believe it.

gogecko

Yeah, I saw a shark jump in the Coomera as well. He was coming from underneath a bait school too. There were Trevors rounding up the bait, and the sharks work in with em.

Andrew