Thread: Tweed escapee jew

Tweed escapee jew

This is a pic of a plastic that I know hooks jews. It just doesn't land em!

The tide was topping out and we were having no luck with the usual flathead drift so I decided to try and find a jew. I ran the sounder over a fairly well known hole in the tweed and amongst the bait school I could see some very fishy looking blips.

Rigged up this big 6" Gulp Bait Swimmer in Sardine colour on the biggest jig head I have and electricked back and bounced along the bottom. Took a few minutes before some tentative taps then WHAM!... He came to the boat nicely, my jaw dropped that I had targetted one and done it on plastics. The missus nearly flipped coz I had told her that they are a pretty special fish. I lunged for the net trying to keep pressure on but after a bit of a head shake he was gone.

It was a beautiful sight all lit up with the spots running down the sides. Probably 65cm ish.

I posted on here recently about a metre odd flathead that my wife dropped. As a novice angler she was ok for the first few minutes and said it had just been fun catching it and didn't mind. I said nothing, just waited. Before long she started having those feelings that only a fisho that drops a gooden knows. Then there was some quiet swearing and cursing from the front of the boat.

Today she could empathise with my swearing and cursing which could be heard echoing up the banks of the tweed as the sun set. Apologies to any locals with kiddies. We tried the same spot for another hour without a touch.

The six inch gulps look terrible straight from the packet. Like a big cigar or a lump of poo. And none of the tails are straight or even similar in shape. It must be the smell and the texture. Their intended use was for Awoonga later this year. Need another pack now and they can be hard to get.

Re: Tweed escapee jew

lure pic

Theres nothing worse, especially when its a jew
    Tight Lines

Bad luck mate but that is fishing some times you win other times you lose. You just got to keep at it and you will land those big ones. It not the best feeling when you miss the big ones.
    It's all part of the fishing experience

That's a bit rough mate!
    I call those fish suckers - suck you back to that spot night and day- suck you to the tackle shop to buy ten thousand of those identical plastics - driven by optimism of settling the score.
    Good luck. I hope you strike back soon, because the longer it goes the worse the torture of 'the one that got away' gets.

fishingnottake

what size jighead was it?

oh gawd, i was afraid somebody would ask about the jig head. I really don't know mate. jig heads and sinker weights are my weakness. I just buy and put em on.

I'll try and find out if ya want fishingnottaken

Daniel_Trenfield

No wonder you've had good success on that sp.

Look at it's face - He's shiit scared!!!!!

Dan.

At least you got to see the fish m8, counts as a catch in my books.

What sort of outfit were you using themooks ?

They normally start about this time of year down this end of the coast , will have to try and get one after wintersun. Hard luck with dropping that one mate. You will be swearing for a while still.

Cheers Rod

hard luck mate. that's fishing! i did the same with a huge jack in a marina nth of bris a few years back - oh it hurts!

cuzza

Sorry for the delayed response mjc85.

I was using a curado with the Jack Erskine treatment with 10lb braid over a shimano barra raider. 40lb jinkai at the business end. Now I come to think of it I shouldn't have bothered going for the bloody net, the jinkai would have hoyed him over the side I reckon.

mark

Bugger Mark! No good to hear...

At least you now know what to look for, and what to try again.

And I bet your wife'll be ready with the net as soon as you hook up next time!!!

Dan