Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baby Bream....13/7/06 SLAUGHTER

Dirty

Baby Bream....13/7/06 SLAUGHTER

G'day Ausfishers...

Well I targeted my favourite fish again....Bream!!! (Thats about all I know how to fish for)
    The only problem was getting a ride, finding another person to come along with me...so I called a mate from Uni...who was interested in the sport but never gets anything worth talking about. He picked me up and we headed to the Coast where I though my first location of the rocks might proove to be a winner. Anyway I didn't get his hopes up to high, but I was optimistic and then again I had my doubts as usual especially since I have always been more of a night fisher.

We were fishing in the canals around Surfers Paradise near the Cascade Gardens..in the Little Tele_bud. Creek... we got there at 8am hoping to fish an hour before high tide and then a couple more on the run out. We tried the usual spots with little success... LITERALLY!!! check out this monster... I just had to take a photo.

Then tried a few more spots near Pacific Fair... under Bridges and near any good looking structure. Snags and more dissapointment. I tried to keep my mates hopes up, telling him I'll catch him a feed, I thought the poor bastard would never come out again with me.

So I directed him to Southport! I know a couple spots there but again never imagined the outcome would be this fruitful... or fishy. We got there at 12 noon and fished till 4pm. These fish are smart and will only take unweighted baits. I was using size 2 suicide hooks, and as usual had a vairety of bait, from peeled prawns, mullet strips, and my favourite chicken thigh. OH and as usual I try new stuff that I don't normally use... like baby octopus and I even bought some NZ fillet fish and rainbow trout...but they didn't produce well. We got given some albocore tuna from some trawlers and that worked a charm...

After downing some beers spiked with a bit of stones green ginger wine and just fishing of the wharf thinking this is bullshit... not even a bite, I tried another pier and STRIKE... I was on... nice solid hit and a Bream about 26cm. Then as soon I discovered thier feeding zone we were on...cathing about 18 Bream and my mate caught a Tailor! He was stoked!

So I gave him all the fish (most of which were around the 23cm mark and above) and he took his slab of tuna that was given to us, and off he went home...a very happy camper! I returned and started fresh, waited for my old man to make it down from Brisbane. From about 4pm - 6pm and after a few more brewskies, I bagged about 20 fish in the bucket... I was wrapped! They were getting bigger as the sun was setting.

6pm came and my old man came and started telling me I was fishing in the wrong spot before he even knew what I caught... I smiled and told the fool to lift the lid up. Suprisingly he moved to the next wharf and by 9pm I decided to call it quits. I caught about 30bream and bagged 25 my old man caught 3 bream but caught the biggest which was 37cm.

Anyway It was welcomed since...we always take the boat out and catch Jack (not the mangrove type). Anyway the dudes took me onboard and showed me what a long line tuna boat has to offer and to top that...even though I told them I don't eat fish... they gave me a slab of Marlin...recon it tastes U beaut! .....

Had a peck and as usual turned my nose up at it...and passed it onto another family member...and ate a salad!

It was good fun, gonna throw the line in again on Monday! BUT I can only predict it won't be that good! These days are far and few between for me!

Have a good one boys!

George.

Dirty

Re: Baby Bream....13/7/06 SLAUGHTER

My mate with his catch.....he was stoked!

Dirty

Oh what a night!

Dirty

My dad....and his moment of glory...hehehe

Dirty

Sorry... me and my slaughter!

Dirty

I think some people will be sick of eating Breambo's ....but they told me they have plenty of hungry mouths to feed....as long as they don't go to waste ..I'm happy to catch and give away! THATS ALL FOLKS!

You are kidding arent you, what are you going to do with tiny fish like that, I'm sure half of them are under size.

fishingnottake

who were you catching them for?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlikes2fish
    You are kidding arent you, what are you going to do with tiny fish like that, I'm sure half of them are under size.
    No they are probably all legal. But a 23cm bream is a chicken nugget when ya think about it. I would like to see the size limit go up to about 35cm. Me and the missus throw em back unless they are 35cm. I saw a 52cm bream caught in the Brissy river 2 years ago, just cant keep em at 23cm since seeing how big they can get.

I think 27 should be the size to keep still get a good fillet off that.

Midgie...you would not have too many keepers at 35..they are not all that common.

A bucket full of bones and skin

It's great to catch heaps of bream but it even better feeling to release them!

I wish more people would practice this on all species..

This is going down the same road as another post recently and we all know how that turned out, so all I have to say is good catch. No rules broken, well within bag limits and all that other stuff..................... Please don't alert the Mod's (it's all posotive Feeding the family is a top option Baby bream, they are babies tho.
    Will be following this post carefully. Cheers!

Rich

alvey_fisher_v17c

Good catch mate, yum.