Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baby Bream....13/7/06 SLAUGHTER

Re: Baby Bream....13/7/06 SLAUGHTER

Baby_bream. Well said mate.
    T1's advice on pics is also spot on. People don't read the posts sometimes, they just look at pics and title. Kel is also right on encouraging but at the same time this is a forum and critisism is a natural part of forums.
    Like you said champ, every1 has there own opinions and that's there entitlement. The forum is a way to express these opinions. Critisism can be part and parcel of your post. Generally, members mean well. Keep your posts coming and just stick to what you think is right.
    As for bagging members in the estuary section, (compared to saltwater) I reckon it's because there is a majority of landbased and estuarine fishers on the site who can really only target these fish. Not all have boats and can go offshore chasing the Reds etc. Bream, whiting, flathead etc are just that for some of us, "bread and butter fish".
    Some may feel strongly to what they may percieve as a slaughter of the fish they target on a weekend to weekend basis. That's just my opinion tho.
    Like said, no rules broken and all that other stuff. Certainly no need for you to pay too much attention to it and stop posting.

Rich
    PS: you don't eat fish huh, maybe you'd eat squid?? Will be in touch mate.

Quote Originally Posted by T1
    Right on PINHEAD & KEL, i don't hear anyone screaming about catching and releasing and/or freezing beef or lamb!!!!!! #We seem very happy to do this to those creatures but when it comes to fish, it's taboo?!?!?!

Well, next time you freeze a t-bone or rump or cutlet, think of releasing it instead perhaps...
    Hey T... After these inspiring words - I tried to release my steak.... it didnt seem to appreciate its new found freedom - just sat there like it was..... dead strange huh!!! Keep up the good work - you're a scream!!!

Oh yeah... saw that creek to coast - or whatever show tonight they released a longtail.... blood shark ate it - what a waste haha shoulda kept it!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead
    Midgie...you would not have too many keepers at 35..they are not all that common.
    You would have more if under 35cms were returned....

Nice catch mate

i only got 1 thing to say. give me that spot.

Great_White

Well done Baby Bream, you did nothing wrong. I agree and support the views of Pinhead, Cheech and T1.

I am currently in Caloundra fishing bream, only got 4 during the day today will try a night fish tomorrow night.

When things are good (meaning getting a few fish ) I try and release the 23 & 24 cm ones. As you all know when a #hooked bream comes up with blood comming out from a swallowed hook and at legal size 23 / 24 I keep it, because it not going to swim away.

When times are lean 23 cm and over thank you very much into the esky they go

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead
    [quote author=TheSaint link=1152890208/15#23 date=1152949419][quote author=PinHead link=1152890208/15#17 date=1152938387][quote author=TheSaint link=1152890208/0#12 date=1152926344]It's great to catch heaps of bream but it even better feeling to release them!

I wish more people would practice this on all species.. #
    some may feel good releasing them..as for me..I love eating them.
    [/quote]

Nothing wrong with taking a feed but if you aren't going to eat it that day it's a waste to freeze a fresh fish..[/quote]

why is it a waste to freeze fish..so what if I may want to keep 20 fish..share them with friends and family..as long there is nothing illegal done then who cares...I get sick and tired of people being bagged for doing absolutely nothing illegal...if others want to #toss the fish back...so be it...if others want to keep them..good on them. C&R isn't all it is cracked up to be either in my opinion.

Kill & Grill...and science keeps finding more and more benefits from eating fish.

Oh..BTW...if you saw my report from Caloundra from last Tuesday night...brother in law and myself caught 45 LEGAL bream..actually all were over 25cm...and..we kept them all. Considering he has 3 adult offspring with spouse and I have 2 with spouse and family...and a few to the neighbour...now that is 8 families..that equates to just over 5 fish per family...wow..what a fish slaughter..if anyone is concerned about us keeping that many..tough..I do not care. We abided completely by the law therefore have nothing to answer to anyone.
    [/quote]

mate with all sincerity,,, what you've stated is absolutely right,,,,

each to there own,,,,,,

but if you stop for a second and read what is being said,,, you may get a better grip on the topic

my opinion of freezing fish is the same as freezing any thing,,,,sooner or later you clean the freezer and find something down the bottom that we ALL forget about ,,,,,,, kill/grill,,,,,,,vs,,,,,,,,red light special

if you catch to enjoy,,,and release,,,,

if you catch to enjoy and eat,,,,

same thing,,,,just don't waste,,,,,

the issue here i think,,, is don't bag a catch because it looks like a slaughter,,,,you may have 1,,2,,3,,,4,, mouths to feed

WHO CARES,,,,,, long as its legal,,,,

i did read your post,,, noticed how many bagged you over the amount of fish caught,,took notes,,,then i thought about the prick on my birthday who preferred to use square hooks opposed to bent ones,, at my favorite spot x,, and I END UP IN THE $#@#$

as mrs choppa says,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,attitude
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

bidkev

As long as the fish isn't wasted and the bag is legal, I personally, don't have a problem with it.

We can't have it all ways.......if we believe that the DPI&F is doing the best possible under the circumstances and that their bag limits are based on sound research, then legal has to be ok. Then again, you may think that the legislation is flawed, and that you therefore have a right to critise baby bream's bag, but I woud propose that if you think the bream limits are flawed, (based on the assumption that you think the DPI research is flawed) then you must also consider that the research on all species is flawed, should you not?

It therefore follows that those who think the bream size should be upped or the bag limit decreased should also be proposing that this should apply to all species unless they are privvy to some info that the general fisho or DPI&F is not privvy to. As "run of the mill" fishos we have nothing really to go on except the hope that legislation is based on sound research.

With regards to the lack of criticism aimed at offshore fishos as opposed to the "little guys". I think it is well understood that fishing offshore requires major capital expenditure and running costs and in view of this, "higher returns" from offshore may be more acceptable to most thinking fishos, and the catches therefore attract less bagging.

It must be remembered also, that offshore is not as accessible as estuarine fishing and despite the reports of large catches from barwon for example, gaining "public scrutiny", these catches are in fact likely to be less in overall fish taken on any given day, than the estuarine fishos take...they are also less frequent, as offshore is less accessible due to weather.

That said, I personally don't think there is any difference between the bagging of catches viz a viz inshore and offshore. There will always be those who will criticise large bags from wherever, but what they should bear in mind is just how many times does the feller with the big bag come home empty handed?...........average his big bag out with days fished overall and it's likely then that his annual catch may be a lot more moderate than the "publicity" via reporting here, infers........at least I hope it is

kev

first off, well done Baby Bream, i think the majority on here agree on that.

BUT, while quite a few of us are of the opinion that if its legal, its morally o.k., it got me thinking that i don't agree w/ everything that the law says is right and wrong.

the law says that its ok for some people to net our esturies.

i don't want to start another sh!t fight coz i agree with what most of what the [i]fisherman[i] on here have already said. i set my own size limits sometimes, but i am not going to bag someone for taking a good haul of 23 - 25cm bream on the odd occasion. If you were to reap catches like on a regular basis, i might change my opinion. but then again, i might just think you are a bloody good fisherman who knows his quarry well.

i like to eat fish (alot) and there's no way i am going to release a good feed coz some ill-informed, jumped up greenie thinks its cruel!, they can get stuffed!I'm not saying anyone on here did that, just what we all have to contend with in society sometimes
    i also don't mind freezing any fish that DOES freeze well, i.e. I know that freezing tailor is a waste, so I don't bother keeping that many or alternatively i get the smoker out.

but, getting back to the point i started on, i wouldn't say, "yeah, the law says your right so go for it".

I just think that its definately possible to abuse of our marine resources while staying within the law, and i think thats the crux of what i have been trying to express in this post.

damo

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

Quote Originally Posted by Great White
    Well done Baby Bream, you did nothing wrong. I agree and support the views of Pinhead, Cheech and T1.

I am currently in Caloundra fishing bream, only got 4 during the day today will try a night fish tomorrow night.

When things are good (meaning getting a few fish ) I try and release the 23 & 24 cm ones. As you all know when a #hooked bream comes up with blood comming out from a swallowed hook and at legal size 23 / 24 I keep it, because it not going to swim away.

When times are lean 23 cm and over thank you very much into the esky they go
    Wrong wind for them at Caloundra this weekend...son desperately wanted to go up there on Friday night after my previous 2 seesions..... I told him the wind was wrong...not a bite that night...should improve again with a wind direction change on Monday....will probably have another go myself on Monday night.

I have my own version of fishing that is similar to catch and release......

I'm so cr@p, I just can't catch them, so don't need to release 'em.

To the fish its the same result, minus the sore throat.

At least I can come here to see what a fish looks like

Might be better if I spent less time here, and went fishing instead

well done on your catch Baby-Bream, good to see you and a mate had a great day out doing what you enjoy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

George,

good effort mate...please keep posting and dont worry about the knockers...as it has been said before, you broke no rules and by the look of the family nothing will go to waste.

Cheers

Steven
    Cheers

Steven

couldn't go fishing this weekend ,lucky i had a couple of bream stashed away in the freezer for dinner last night , they were as nice as the day we caught them cheers

You blokes might be onto something here.I have released fish but never even tought about releasing a pig ,my dogs wouldnt let me
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

great read